Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

rondeña tuning for soleá   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

zata

rondeña tuning for soleá 

Anyone who read the review of Saturday's Gazpacho (http://www.deflamenco.com/actuaciones/gazpacho03/indexi.jsp) saw I mentioned that Canales' guitarists played his soleá with rondeña tuning. Has this become common? I'd never heard it before and thought it was done very tastefully and well.

Estela 'Zata'
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 5 2003 1:35:58

eslastra

RE: rondeña tuning for soleá (in reply to zata

Estela,

I posted an article in the 'TABS' section from Alain Faucher's website on this topic. Has some interesting insights about the use of alternate tunings in flamenco through the different generations of players.

http://www.affedis.com/articles6.html

I can imagine a Solea in Rondena tuning must have sounded very nice. I'd never heard alternate tunings used for dance or cante accompaniment though, until I read your deflamenco article. Perhaps another new path for flamenco?

Eddie Lastra
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 5 2003 5:55:56

zata

RE: rondeña tuning for soleá (in reply to eslastra

Eddie, that's a very interesting site, I'd never been there before.

You got me thinking about alternative tuning for cante and baile. I assumed it had been done and suspect it has, but can't think of a specific instance. Surely someone like Gerardo Núñez who both accompanies and solos wouldn't hesitate to do something in that line.

I really enjoyed the rondeña tuning for solea cante (and baile). Phrygian could be described as plaintive...rondeña tuning gives a moody dimension. Both seem appropriate.

Estela 'Zata'
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 6 2003 9:42:03

[Deleted] (in reply to eslastra

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 6 2003 11:35:06

eslastra

RE: rondeña tuning for soleá (in reply to zata

Estela,

I recall now that Enrique Morente sung a seguiriya in the Carlos Saura 'Flamenco' movie, with Juan Canizares accompanying in a alternate tuning, I'm not sure which tuning, I'll see if I can figure it out. But I'm certain he's not in the A phyrigian that seguiriyas is usually accompanied in. I'm not sure I liked the tonality of this different tuning for seguiriya though, but it was an interesting new sound.

I'd believe alternate tunings are used more often these days, in the search for newer sounds, it's just a matter of whether one can listen close enough to notice it. More stuff to learn about in this wonderful art.

Eddie Lastra
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 6 2003 11:51:49

eslastra

RE: altered tuning for cante (in reply to Guest

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndyB

Eddie, take a listen to Morente's siguiryas on Saura's video Flamenco.

Andy,

We must have been on the same telepathic frequency here I just posted a thought on this. I'm going to watch that part of the video tonight to check it out closer.

Eddie Lastra
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 6 2003 11:55:42

zata

RE: rondeña tuning for soleá (in reply to eslastra

The memory of that "siguiriya" was the first thing that came to mind, but I deliberately did not mention it so as not to encourage him . The singing and the guitar are so far removed from anything I would call siguiriya, it can only be classed as a "Morente creation", no matter how beautiful (or not beautiful) you might consider it. It's like the new fad "flamenco-chill" which has about as much to do with flamenco as the Spice Girls.

Shakespeare was right...you know, about the rose and all that...but like in reverse.

Estela 'Zata'
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 6 2003 12:48:22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote