Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Grisha tries out a Conde Felipe V (Guitar Salon) + other guitars   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

mark indigo

RE: Grisha tries out a Conde Felipe ... (in reply to Andy Culpepper

quote:

that tangos is "La Cañada" by Paco. It's on his Siroco album

am i right in thinking this has the bottom E tuned down to A? is that the only tuning alteration for this piece?

and was the bulerias piñonate? with the top two strings altered?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 11 2009 15:17:25

Mike_Kinny

RE: Grisha tries out a Conde Felipe ... (in reply to Arash

Where from is the Alegria he played?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 11 2009 21:20:29

mark indigo

RE: Grisha tries out a Conde Felipe ... (in reply to Andy Culpepper

quote:

That La Cañada was incredible.

yeah, truly jaw-droppingly amazing, thanks for posting this Arash, i've never seen Paco play this live or on film/vid so seeing Grisha play it is the next best thing!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 12 2009 2:19:07

mark indigo

RE: Grisha tries out a Conde Felipe ... (in reply to Mike_Kinny

quote:

Where from is the Alegria he played?

"Barrio La Viña", second track from "El Duende Flamenco De Paco De Lucía"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 12 2009 2:23:25

Pgh_flamenco

Interesting, Grisha doesn't think he's a classical guitarist anymore.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 12 2009 7:50:00

keith

Pgh_flamenco: Grisha has always been flamenco. In 2000-2002 I studied with Grisha's father--I was just a beginner and back then his father took on "sad sack" cases like me (beginners who were well beyond the age where one should pick up an instrument). Anyway, Grisha was playing wicked great flamenco back then (in his late teens) and as always played flamenco (frequently I would stop the lesson to listen to Grisha in the other room). I recall his father telling me Grisha had an audience with Paco when Grisha was either pre-teen or just turned a teenager.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 12 2009 8:31:09

xirdneH_imiJ

RE: Grisha tries out a Conde Felipe ... (in reply to mark indigo

La Canada is AADGAD i believe...
i can't really decide between the instruments, somehow they all sound too dry, or is it Grisha's touch when he plays hard? the Torres sounded amazing...
btw i own a Ramírez FL2, and it's excellent value for the price, not without its flaws, but overall a balanced instrument which is also loud enough to accompany dancers unamplified...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 12 2009 8:46:26

Pgh_flamenco

RE: Grisha tries out a Conde Felipe ... (in reply to keith

quote:

Grisha has always been flamenco.

Right, but I always thought he was both flamenco and classical and that the focus of his DM was classical music.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 12 2009 9:01:09

mark indigo

RE: Grisha tries out a Conde Felipe ... (in reply to xirdneH_imiJ

quote:

La Canada is AADGAD i believe...

thanks

i did search old threads on piñonate tunings, some think EADGBbD, some EADGAD, and i think someone said Grisha uses EADGBD - so which one is it?!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 12 2009 9:45:04

xirdneH_imiJ

RE: Grisha tries out a Conde Felipe ... (in reply to Pgh_flamenco

he's always been flamenco really, although about a year or two ago he said here that he wants to quit flamenco to concentrate on his classical studies...needless to say he quickly changed his mind, fortunately...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 12 2009 10:38:27

Ron.M

RE: Grisha tries out a Conde Felipe ... (in reply to Ron.M

Bear in mind, this is just a completely personal point of view.

IMO, probably the most important thing in a guitar is the playability.

I've only ever had the chance to try three guitars which just felt like magic...

It was difficult to produce an ugly sound from them and the strings felt really soft under your LH and reassuringly firm under your RH.

Everything you played sounded good...you could have been totally absorbed in playing those guitars from morning until night.

Totally responsive.

Sadly, two were owned by playing professionals and one was a Valencia made guitar at a decent price, but I just didn't have the money at the time.

To me, playability is the MAIN factor in a guitar....yet guitar makers and their customers seem to regard "boom, tinkle and volume" as being the mark of a great guitar.

The "High Volume Level" guitars that are so coveted, to me seem "harsh" and emphasise every squeak and nail click and string slide going and are completely redundant these days, due to the ubiquitous use of amplification.

By "Boom and Tinkle" I mean resounding basses and trebley trebles which makes me think of the early days of "High Fidelity", when someone would buy an expensive stereo system and set the Bass and Treble controls to maximum.

A lot of the cheaper made guitars have IMO very good qualities for a Flamenco guitar....ie short sustain, percussive sound, with a well balanced (albeit "duller") sound than a lot of the so-called top makes.

I'm not saying top makes are bad, but just that I think they are aiming at the wrong thing IMO.

Then again...you have to give the customers what they want...

And Boom, Tinkle and Volume have always impressed the amateurs I've seen around the guitar shops anyway.

As I said, a completely personal view.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 12 2009 12:17:28

Anders Eliasson

quote:

To me, playability is the MAIN factor in a guitar....yet guitar makers and their customers seem to regard "boom, tinkle and volume" as being the mark of a great guitar.

Ron, I´ve been here for YEARS, always saying the feel of the guitar is the most important. If the guitar doesnt suit you, it might sound good in some other players hands but not in yours. Playability it THE thing and all good players go for that.
A typical example is when a player starts finding out the the strings on his/her guitar "disappears" when playing hard picados etc. the they look for something a bit harder, where the feeling stays where they want it. Yeah, sound is important, but feel is a lot more important

I agree with you in that there´s a lot of talking about bright trebles and boomy basses and I also agree that its not very interesting. A lot of the persons talking like that, being players or makers, dont know very much about guitars. I personally like a bright guitar, but a good strong dynamic midrange and a clear separation of the notes is extremely important.
Volume is always good but not if its on the expense of playability.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 12 2009 12:55:49

at_leo_87

RE: Grisha tries out a Conde Felipe ... (in reply to Anders Eliasson

quote:

but can't you take a good guitar and adjust the playability to your needs? lowering the saddle, higher tension strings, etc, etc.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 12 2009 15:44:33

Ramon Amira

RE: Grisha tries out a Conde Felipe ... (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

By "Boom and Tinkle" I mean resounding basses and trebley trebles which makes me think of the early days of "High Fidelity", when someone would buy an expensive stereo system and set the Bass and Treble controls to maximum.

There is a difference between a booming bass, and one that is just deep and rich. You will rarely hear a fine luthier guitar with a booming bass.

P.S. Did I do the emoticon right? Does this mean I'm not an Emoticon Virgin any more? Just a regular virgin?

Classical and flamenco guitars from Spain Ramon Amira Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 12 2009 17:59:25

kozz

RE: Grisha tries out a Conde Felipe ... (in reply to at_leo_87

quote:

ORIGINAL: at_leo_87

quote:

but can't you take a good guitar and adjust the playability to your needs? lowering the saddle, higher tension strings, etc, etc.

Good question at_leo_87.
Whilst reading the post I was also thinkig what good playability is, especially if you are an unexperienced player.
What do you look for?
I know its a subjective question, but not having played that much guitars, I really couldn't tell what to look for, only that if something doesn't feel right it's most probably lack of technique on my side.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 12 2009 20:52:01

KMMI77

It was cool to listen to Grisha playing all those guitars. That is the first time i have had the opportunity to listen to the extremely expensive Filipe v conde. I liked the sound. It will sound amazing once someone plays it regularly.

With regards to Kozz on playability. The shape of the neck,scale length, potential action and string tension seem to be the main things i look for when feeling for a guitars playability. Your right, This is all subjective and will depend on the players preferred technique, style and hands. Finding one that is easy to play and has your dream guitar sound is difficult.

It can take a long time to adjust your technique to hear the potential of an instrument. Years sometimes. When my technique is feeling tense, all guitars have an uneven sound and feel hard to play. Lol!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2009 0:24:59

Anders Eliasson

Ok, I´m back with one of favorites, Pulsation. Thats one of the most important things in a guitar that suits you and its the one you cant adjust because its built into the guitar.
In popular words I would call it stiffness or softness of a guitar. Its something you feel in you right hand, it has to do with how you produce sound. Its also something you cannot adjust by changing string tension. Yes a little bit, but a stiff guitar feels stiff with low tension strings and a soft guitar feels soft with high tension strings.
Pulsation you control mainly by thickness of soundboard and how heavy its braced. These two things interact and also affect the sound of the guitar. If the soundboard is to thick, the guitar might be trebly but also with lack of nuance and dynamics in the basses and midrange. If to thin it becomes bassy and with lack of dynamics in the trebles and high midrange. Guitars with a to strong bracing system tend to have this unpleasant nosy sound.
There´s no right pulsation. It depends on the player and some pro´s like stiff guitars and some like soft guitars. From my experience, a typical stiff guitar is a Conde and a typical soft one is a Reyes. So you see, that you can find all kinds of pulsations in all categorys and its a waste of time to discuss which is best etc, because its so personal.

One of the problems with the internet info you get about good guitars is that the info comes from people who knows very little about guitars, hence the enourmous amount of info about sound and very little about playability. There are lots of "clever" persons writing about how good this and that guitar sounds without being able to really test it and play it with a good strong flamenco technique. If you dont have that techique, you wont be able to test the guitar fully. Its like testing a formula 1 car under speed limitations. Everyone with money can buy a good guitar, pluck the strings and write a raving review on the internet. If you do so many times some people will consider you to know a lot about good guitars, but the only info you get is a personal comparision on how good guitars sound when plucked.
I hope you understand what I mean with "plucking". thats something that has very little to do with playing flamenco. Flamencos dont pluck strings.

So what has this to do with a standard beginner or intermediate flamenco player: Its difficult to get it right the first time. Thats why guitars are being sold. Some people want to think they have a strong right hand and buy or order a stiff guitar (macho type) what they have is maybe an uncontrolled right hand and so, the guitar they buy will always be overpowering them.

My personal goal is to build a guitar which is just right of course. but its relative, so it might be just a tad to soft or stiff for someone.
Now I´m being very honest with you guys, and please give me credit for that because its not what is normally considered good for business and very few luthiers are saying that their instruments might not be correct for all players. In fact most luthiers are very afraid of talking about how their guitars work and thats leads us back to Rons dilema: all this talking about sound. Its so much easyer to talk about the right sound than he right feel of a guitar and this leeds to this misunderstanding that if you have a guitar with a good sound (relative as well) you have a guitar that´ll always be perfect for you

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2009 1:48:38

kozz

RE: Grisha tries out a Conde Felipe ... (in reply to Anders Eliasson

Thanks Anders for your clear description, ofcourse honesty is always much appreciated and credits are givin to you for that.
I am not saying it makes it easier, but the considerations when looking for a new guitar take a whole new path.
To be honest I was thinking, the more expensive the better. And since I am not so pleased anymore with my Juan Hernandez, especially since I tried some hardtension strings on it, I already saw the money flying out of my pockets (again).

Let me see if I understand you correctly about Pulsation. As you wrote, it is build into the guitar and various parameters contribute to that. Then the next part is how we, as a person, react to that. One might like this sound, the other person likes another sound, but the interaction should feel right.
Once the interaction is comfortable it is easier to produce the tone you prefer?

The holiday is arriving soon and I will spent some time in guitarshops just so see if there's anything of this noticable for me.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2009 3:15:37

orsonw

RE: Grisha tries out a Conde Felipe ... (in reply to kozz

Thanks for bringing up the pulsation issue Anders. You mentioned it here before and I found it very helpful. I think it's a very important point.

I have bought three guitars over the last 6 months and whilst they all sound different they all have what might be called stiff pulsation (and all blancas) so I guess that must be what I like! I have a Conde, Sanchis Lopez, Bernal. They all need quite a lot of energy to really wake them up and get the air moving.

There is certainly difference between them sonically but they are all well seperated, balanced and have good solid mids, which for me is important. When one is playing with lots of people and noise around it's that solid midrange punch that I really miss if it's not there.

I find I get used to the guitar's sound that I am playing. I'm not saying they're the same but I produce a similar sound or aire on them all, if you understand me.

It was very useful for me to spend 6 months really exploring guitars and what I liked. I tried many in the Uk, Spain and in Germany. I know more what suits me and more than anything that fantasy of the 'perfect' guitar has been removed. I think if one hasn't tried - Reyes, Conde etc.. it's easy to imagine they are supernatural and from another planet than the guitar one already owns. Now I know this isn't true. I'm not saying some guitars aren't better than others but just that it's better to spend time practicing and learning to produce sound and aire than dreaming of the perfect guitar.

A couple of others things I've learnt-

-Better to make a guitar more of what it already is by changing strings, action etc.. than trying to give it another personality

-I won't ever buy a guitar without trying it or maybe another made by the luthier.

-Expensive or well known makers don't always produce guitars superior to cheaper, less known makers.

-Scale length, nut width don't seem to be an indicator of how easy or difficult a guitar will be to play or how hard the string tension will be- further underling Anders pulsation comments.

- God only knows who made your Conde.

PS Anders thanks for all your help the last few months. I'm done guitar hunting for now but I hope one day to try one of your guitars and perhaps buy one.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2009 8:21:58

Anders Eliasson

Kozz, yeah that sounds pretty ok.

With respect of choosing an instrument its also good to know that normally you gain pulsation yourself during practice. Its a bit like lifting weights. Flamenco is a kind of finger/hand bodybuilding.

This means that sometimes you end up with a guitar that after some years will be to soft and also that if you start playing less, maybe your guitar will be on the stiff side for you.

The world is a complicated beast

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2009 8:34:48

aeolus

It takes me about a month or so to understand a guitar in all its aspects. So I tend to run thru a few looking for one that satisfies. The action usually isn't something I really notice unless it is markedly different from the norm. I just bought a '70 Ramirez blanca
that has the stiffest action I have ever encountered but I like the sound so I'll just work around it. As to judging a guitar from the above clips, of course not possible. Just a bit of fun.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2009 11:22:00

at_leo_87

awesome post, anders. thank you for your in depth explanation. much appreciated!

but damn it, now i want to go guitar shopping!

quote:

There are lots of "clever" persons writing about how good this and that guitar sounds without being able to really test it and play it with a good strong flamenco technique. If you dont have that techique, you wont be able to test the guitar fully. Its like testing a formula 1 car under speed limitations.

love that analogy. they always seem to say the same thing about every guitar. it's like they just take the best sounding adjectives to describe guitar sound and throw them together to make sentences that are sometimes contradictory. like... "it's a very bright guitar with a warm sound."

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 13 2009 15:45:51

kozz

RE: Grisha tries out a Conde Felipe ... (in reply to at_leo_87

quote:

like... "it's a very bright guitar with a warm sound."

or..."the best in its price-range"....
I buyed that s***t 2 times....

Anyway, back to topic....I love the Torres,..it's made for love
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2009 10:28:28

ToddK

Yeah, i saw these over at the GSI forum.

Grisha is sounding awesome as ever. Unbelievable. Even the cheap Cordoba sounded great in his hands.

I didnt like the Conde that much oddly. I liked the Reyes alot though.

Dave Tate put one of my videos on the GSI one of the product pages
too.
http://www.guitarsalon.com/product.php?productid=280

Im no Grisha thats for sure, but it was nice of Dave to put my vid up there.
I would have thought he would get Grisha to do some classical demos too.
Wierd how Grisha says he's not a "Real Classical" player. He's Nuts!!
I have his album, and he most certainly is a GREAT classical guitarist.
Way too humble. :)
TK

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 14 2009 21:44:23

gj Michelob

RE: Grisha tries out a Conde Felipe ... (in reply to ToddK

Good endorsements, gentlemen …. You guys could string a Christmas tree and make it sound as a "must" have flamenco guitar.

However, thus far -and not to be unnecessarily sweet to a fellow member- the one guitar that I found to sound most intriguing on video is Anders' blanca. I do not know what he does to his instrument but they truly are imbued with "duende" (and we can start another thirty page thread on this subject….).

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 15 2009 6:47:34

Escribano

RE: Grisha tries out a Conde Felipe ... (in reply to gj Michelob

quote:

I do not know what he does to his instrument but they truly are imbued with "duende"

<hijack>Yep and my film shows how he does it </hijack>

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 15 2009 9:59:17

Ron.M

RE: Grisha tries out a Conde Felipe ... (in reply to ToddK

Very beautiful and expressive playing, Todd!

It just proves that " the means of playing" is less important than knowing how to play the guitar in the first place.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 15 2009 11:42:57

Tom Blackshear

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arash

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deniz

Id take the Ramirez. Maybe if the Reyes would have been a blanca, i would have preferred that over the Ramirez. And the Conde over the Reyes if that had been a blanca

blanca fetishist !

but if you close your eyes and don't look at back and sides and don't read the description,,,, the conde was the most "blanca" of the negras imo :-) , no ?

maybe because Koa is not so dark as palisanto and more like cypress? haha....

but interesting that everyone prefers something different......we got votes for all....except "poor" tedoro perez, which received no votes (was nice too, but compared to others, not outstanding)

but you are right, it also depends on strings, distance to MIC, etc...

now the question is, which guitar had the best playability ?
thats the question which only grisha can answer, if he should stop by !

I did like the Perez the best because I think it fit his technique and certain things he liked about a guitar the best. There was that certain character I liked, that was very different from the other guitars.

I have a Reyes style negra I'm just finishing up in my shop that has more staying power than the Reyes' that were demonstrated but I made it that way so it could be used as a cross-over if necessary.

This particular instrument will probably go to the RE Brune shop for sale.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 16 2009 8:29:45

kozz

Does anyone know any records where this Torres model is used on? I just love the way the nostalgica comes out of it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 16 2009 11:05:29

[Deleted] (in reply to Tom Blackshear

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 16 2009 11:25:06
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message