Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Anyone Played J. MARCARIO FLAMENCO GUITAR?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

zenin

Anyone Played J. MARCARIO FLAMENCO G... 

Hi, Just curious as i can't find any information on this maker? thanks
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 19 2009 1:14:05

cameraman220

RE: Anyone Played J. MARCARIO FLAMEN... (in reply to zenin

I know you posted this question some time ago. I had been thinking about this maker for some time. I posted a similar question and like you, got no response. It made me curious when I saw a J Marcario Flamenco model 45 for sale yesterday. The photos of the guitar were beautiful. It had cypress back and sides, spruce top, bone nut and saddle, and an ebony fingerboard. So, I bought it. It was only $322. I saw this model for sale on Ebay at this price for some time. Apparently, the man in Arizona who sells them, has numerous model 45 which he imports from France and sells them one at a time. He also has a pro model for twice that price, but the model 45 seems to have all the right parts and great construction as well. I will post my opinion of this guitar when I have a chance to really play and evaluate it. It should arrive in about 5 days.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 26 2011 15:09:42

pacowannab

RE: Anyone Played J. MARCARIO FLAMEN... (in reply to cameraman220

Did you like the J Marcario flamenco? How did it sound? I am thinking of buying one too. Your opinion would be appreciated.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 6 2011 5:17:04

GuitarVlog

This is an old topic, but I think it's worth mentioning my findings.

These guitars are being sold on eBay as being built by a luthier in France (or some odd story like that). I had an opportunity to inspect the "top of the line" model of this "builder" today. I did not play the guitar much but it was obvious that this was another one of those guitars built by SinoMusik (aka Aiersi) factory in China and relabeled to appear as if they were made in France.

It was one of the earlier Marcario models and the importer had not asked that the factory-default rosette be changed. That was an immediate giveaway.

It looked like the tuners were upgraded (but still inexpensive Der Jung tuners) and that the finish was of a different patina. This is not unusual. I had contacted SinoMusik myself once out of curiosity and they had offered to build for me a sample of their top classical guitar to my specs (choice of woods, choice of headstock shape, choice of rosette, et cetera) and it would have cost me just a little under $500 shipped to California.

http://www.sinomusik.com
http://www.aiersiguitar.com

Upgraded Yamaha CG171SF
The Guitar Student Journal
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 30 2011 22:47:18

dark_lord

I know I am a noob on this forum, but I thought I'd post a review here to help out anyone who might be on the fence about purchasing a new guitar. I am in no way affiliated either with the maker or dealer of these guitars, I'm just a fortunate owner and I thought I'd do a little bragging...lol

I have just been fortunate enough to pick up a J. Marcario flamenco negra from classical workshop the other day. First of all, the construction and materials are absolutely top notch. Solid rosewood back and sides with a spruce top. The dimensions are comparable to my Takamine FG-136S, which is perfect for me. The sound is distinctly "negra," as we'll. with a darker tone than the Tak, but still possessing that flamenco roar. I actually met Richard here in Phoenix when he delivered the guitar to me and had a very informative talk with him and I can say for a fact that he knows his stuff. Judging on this guitars quality and construction, if you were to buy a similar quality from a Spanish maker, you easily pay 4 to 6 times the amount simply because of the nation of origin. Honestly, though, if you are looking for that negra sound, in my opinion, the J. Marcario model I just picked up has met all of my expectations.

If there are any specific questions, feel free to ask me. The only thing I can see how my Tak surpasses the J.M. is the existence of a truss rod. Most Spanish makers do not include this feature anyway, however, so it's almost a moot point to cry over it...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2013 5:33:10

Ricardo

RE: Anyone Played J. MARCARIO FLAMEN... (in reply to dark_lord

quote:

The only thing I can see how my Tak surpasses the J.M. is the existence of a truss rod. Most Spanish makers do not include this feature anyway

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2013 20:08:41

Lenovol1

I'm new to the forum, but have been visiting for a while so I figure it's time to post something.

A couple of years I was in France, my wife is a Francophile, and was thinking of buying a J. Marcario, but instead I visited another maker in Toulouse, Serge Gallato, and bought one of his guitars. Very nice, a classical, I still have it and play it regularly. Nice guitar.

We just visited France again and this time I went to the workshop of J. Marcario, just outside of Limoges. We met with Andre the owner, nice man, hardly any English but my wife speaks French, luckily as I have problems understanding.

But I fully understood the guitars there. Absolute gems. I had intended buying the model 40 Flamenco, but ended up buying a Concert model. It was a bit more money but what a guitar, well worth every penny. Solid woods, Spruce top and Spanish Cypress back and sides.

I didn't intend spending too much but I had a chance to get a guitar from the man who made it. Unfortunately I had to pay the French VAT (buying in the country and you have to pay the local taxes, 19% which is steep, but it wasreallyl good value, a Spanish guitar would have cost me a lot more, and I had a glass of wine with the man who made it. Hard to beat that.)

The workshop is small but as you would expect it, a strong smell of woods and glue. The guitars are made in a very traditional fashion, mostly hand tools. Three craftsmen and virtually no English spoken. But really nice guitars, well worth playing/owning.

All in all a very rewarding experience, hopefully I'll go back in two years and maybe get another...... they had a very nice cedar top classical. Len
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2013 23:47:07

Morante

RE: Anyone Played J. MARCARIO FLAMEN... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

mmmm

What about Valencia??? At least we know how they work
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2013 15:07:52

Roma 13

The J Macario Flamenco,is in my humble opinion as a seasoned performer, is very good value for the money. All the materials used are 100% correct,and good quality. .The build and finish is high quality,and the sound is better and more traditional "Flamenco" than than a Montalvo Blanka i once owned, which was three times the price,and.... supposedly better made.Blah Blah. Its worth remembering that the flamenco guitar,innovated of course by Torres,was by nature simple,and by todays standard cheap,as the woods were more available then [Cypress]. In fact Gypsy players, more than not, preferred them because they were cheap. The truth is that most reasonable price Flamencos today are in fact probably better built then they were then,with improved science of acoustics etc...So in conclusion a pretty good instrument at a reasonable price,oh and BTW i have SEEN the workshop myself too.- They ARE made in France.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2013 23:48:07

kpcart

I bought a J. Marcario from the ebay seller, and he kept banging on about "Andre" who has no surname.
The J. Marcario guitars are made in China, the ebay seller buys them in bulk and puts a fake label on them. I think he is the 2 people that commented above. user name Lenovol1 and user name Roma 13. if you look at their status both joined this forum only for the sake of commentating to this post, and have not been here since.

This same seller tried to make propaganda comments on my youtube video comparing his guitar to my 2 Yamaha grand concert flamencos from 1978. I deleted his posts.
if anyone wants to here the true sound of a Marcario it is here, it is pretty cheap sounding:

the Marcario is similar in sound to a factory Yamaha GC-172SF. but I don't understand why this seller needs to create this elaborate lie about a workshop in France. if he is reading what is Marcario's first name? Juan? lol
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 9 2014 15:44:40

Ricardo

RE: Anyone Played J. MARCARIO FLAMEN... (in reply to kpcart

$300 drama is fun.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 10 2014 2:39:20

keith

how many "famous" labels are really what they say? i think we can safely conclude the j. marcario guitars, especially the bottom of the rung models, are built either in china or in a workship in france where the laborers are paid considerably less than average--prisoners learning a trade? maybe j. marcario is the warden or shop leader/security guard?

if these guitars are built in france i would likely not even consider them given the cost of labor in france is a lot higher than in china. given labor costs are typically the highest percentage of the cost of a product one will definitely get more bang for the buck buying a chinese made product. but, then again, you get what you pay for. my inexpensive, and new, chinese made backpack just tore at a seam. oh well, at least the canvas might be good for patching the holes in my chinese made blue jeans.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 10 2014 10:59:09

johanan9@

RE: Anyone Played J. MARCARIO FLAMEN... (in reply to Ricardo

i have just joined this site and for the purpose of responding to the question about the Marcario Flamenco 45 guitar, although I plan to remain a part of this forum as an interested guitarist. I am not a great guitarist but I have been a musician, composer and keyboardist for almost 60 years. I have been around guitars for as long.

I just bought the Marcario Flamenco model 45 and have had a chance to play it for about a week. I am not associated with the company that sells them on Ebay, or anywhere else. However, because of my experience with this instrument I decided to comment for the sake of the person who asked the original question about this guitar.

The guitar IS very well made, especially for this price point, but it is just a well-made guitar at any price. It plays well and the action is fast and low. It is 3.5 mm at the 12th fret, just as the ad says. I am 80 years old and my hands are not as strong and agile as they once were but I have no problem doing bar chords on this guitar on any fret and getting clear sounds on all the strings. The tone is outstanding with "singing" trebles and good deep bass. The workmanship is good throughout. One place that really surprised me was the channels where the strings wind inside on the tuning pegs. This is usually left as bare wood, even on expensive guitars. On this guitar this space is finished just like the body of the guitar. This kind of detail is not often seen on the Chinese-made models. The tuners are of very good quality with no gaps, or rough spots when tuning. They tune smooth and sure. Overall, it is a beautiful instrument. It also has a clear plastic "golpe" protector.

I do not know if the guitar is made in France, in China, or on the moon, however, at the $300-$350 price, I just don't see how you can go wrong with this instrument, and Richard, the person who manages the Ebay sales, is very professional and easy to deal with. Most guitars you get online nowadays are simply not setup, no matter how generally well-made they are, but the guitar I got was setup to play. I recently bought a very well-known guitar for twice the price this winter, that was all made in Canada and it was a beautiful instrument, but was just not set up to play and consequently, you could not use a bar chord on the first two frets and get all the strings to sound clearly, or some not at all, no matter the technique. I had to send it back, which costs weeks in terms of time and effort. I did not have this problem with this guitar as it came ready to play.

Again, I have no affiliation with this company and am just a musician that wanted a decent guitar to play without a lot of hassle or extra setup expenses and this guitar was it. I live , as they say, in the middle of nowhere, in New Mexico, and don't have the luxury of going to a luthier to correct problems on an improperly setup guitar, so getting a playable instrument was appreciated.

I hope this helps to answer the questions about this guitar, and if your experience is not favorable I would be very surprised.

Johanan
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2015 4:21:08

pundi64

RE: Anyone Played J. MARCARIO FLAMEN... (in reply to GuitarVlog

quote:

ORIGINAL: GuitarVlog

This is an old topic, but I think it's worth mentioning my findings.

These guitars are being sold on eBay as being built by a luthier in France (or some odd story like that). I had an opportunity to inspect the "top of the line" model of this "builder" today. I did not play the guitar much but it was obvious that this was another one of those guitars built by SinoMusik (aka Aiersi) factory in China and relabeled to appear as if they were made in France.

It was one of the earlier Marcario models and the importer had not asked that the factory-default rosette be changed. That was an immediate giveaway.

It looked like the tuners were upgraded (but still inexpensive Der Jung tuners) and that the finish was of a different patina. This is not unusual. I had contacted SinoMusik myself once out of curiosity and they had offered to build for me a sample of their top classical guitar to my specs (choice of woods, choice of headstock shape, choice of rosette, et cetera) and it would have cost me just a little under $500 shipped to California.

http://www.sinomusik.com
http://www.aiersiguitar.com

Now how can this be? Seems like you might be wrong on your assumption as to where they are built.
www.classical-workshop.com/j._marcario_guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 18 2016 21:27:55

Johnironbear

RE: Anyone Played J. MARCARIO FLAMEN... (in reply to cameraman220

I have a J. Marcario 45 and they definitely are made in France. They guy I got it from goes there every year and picks up several to sell in the U.S. This one is a fabulous guitar and is part of his Conservatoire Series, with many of the same appointments as his Concert Series, but at a much lower cost. It's an exceptional guitar in my estimation with wonderful projection and is a great sounding guitar overall, not to mention that the workmanship is excellent. Much of the reason for the sound is because of the quality of top, and and also because the bracing is shaped by hand until the best resonant tone is achieved in each guitar. This is the only guitar I've ever played that rings like a bell and still resonates for a few seconds after you stop playing.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 17 2017 22:40:25

Escribano

RE: Anyone Played J. MARCARIO FLAMEN... (in reply to Johnironbear

There is more than one positive post about these guitars in this thread, from the same geographical area and with only a single post in their history. Therefore I am closing this thread with a warning that there may be interested parties at work.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 17 2017 23:13:48
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote