Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

New Falseta Anthology   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Resources >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

el ted

New Falseta Anthology 

Greetings Ladies,
There is a new Anthology of Flamenco falsetas in notation and tab on the market, compiled by a chap called Paul Jared Newman.
Anyone got there hands on it? Is it worth buying? I have an old Anthology by Ray Mitchell which is superb, and I'm tempted to buy this new collection.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2009 2:03:10

dformell

RE: New Falseta Anthology (in reply to el ted

Hi,

This is an old post, talk about being a day late and a dollar short! Perhaps you already know this, you can view about half of the book for free via google books.
Included in the free viewing are all of the Soleares falsetas and some of the Alegrias.
Hopefully this helps.

Dan
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2011 8:04:59

Paul Magnussen

I received a review copy for my flamenco column in Classical Guitar magazine. Here’s the review (it appeared in the Sep 2009 issue). Hope it helps:

Rincón Flamenco
No.57: Reviews

By Paul Magnussen

A New Anthology of Falsetas for Flamenco Guitar
Edited by Paul Jared Newman
The Bold Strummer (53 pages)

The author, a New Yorker, has considerable experience as a flamenco dance accompanist; but also a BA in Music from UC Berkeley. Which is fortunate, because it means that this opus is produced with a firmer grasp of how to indicate rhythm than some of the ramshackle productions I’ve seen over the years.

It consists of thirty-two falsetas, eight each of soleares, alegrías, bulerías and siguiriyas: ‘They have been chosen to represent the “bedrock” of flamenco style, reflecting tradition yet touched by invention and innovation, to provide a basis for understanding and ongoing exploration.’

The falsetas are presented in staff notation and tablature, and fully fingered; there are also chord diagrams where appropriate. Their technical standard ranges from quite simple to moderately difficult, but none is virtuosic. Original perpetrators include Montoya (2), Ricardo (1), Sabicas (3), Escudero (1), Peña (1), Lucía (9) and Diego del Gastor (2).

The only reservation I have is that some of this material has already been published elsewhere: for instance, Sabicas’s Aires de Triana appeared in Joseph Trotter’s book and in Volume 1 of the Gendai Guitar series of four, which also contained Lucía’s Recuerdo a Patiño; Alain Faucher’s book covers Montoya, of course.

That said, this collection can be thoroughly recommended.

P.S. I have now also received a CD, which the author tells me will be included with the book. It contains all of the falsetas, played slowly and clearly.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 26 2011 19:24:45

Mary

I just purchased this and have it with me today at work. It looks like a great book and has an interesting short commentary to go along with the pieces. It has 53 pages and contains a total of 8 soleares, 8 alegrias, 8 bulerias, and 8 siguiriyas.

The Google book is not available for free, it is just there to provide a sample and is not meant for free distribution, much like book samples on Amazon.

Mary
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 4 2011 17:16:17

pjn

RE: New Falseta Anthology (in reply to Mary

I am the author of the above mentioned book and would like to mention that it is now available directly from me. A Foro member who just ordered a copy heard about it here, after lo these many years.

Thanks, pjn
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 30 2017 12:22:44
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Resources >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote