Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: RESIGNATIONS AND FINAL ACCOUNTING 12.31.2010 ForoFunds   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ron.M

RE: RESIGNATIONS AND FINAL ACCOUNTIN... (in reply to Florian

quote:

Again.. i am so sorry to hear this amigo.. your kindness, goodwill and enthusiasm towards projects will be missed, in such a short time you became such a vital part or foro flamenco and the forum is a better place for having had you as a member...thank you for all you have done for the forum and thank you for being a great example to me personally as a generous, kind and caring human being...it has been an absolute pleasure and privilege..

you are a true gentleman

always your amigo

Hi gj,

I cannot add to what Florian has said.

I feel exactly the same way.

You have been so generous with your time and an example to us all.

A very happy New Year to you, amigo and we hope you will still pop in from time to time..

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2010 8:44:40

Graham_B

RE: RESIGNATIONS AND FINAL ACCOUNTIN... (in reply to Ron.M

Florian has very eloquently said it all.

I just want to add that I find your generosity of spirit inspirational and your postings unmissable.

Happy New Year gj
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2010 9:10:10

Doitsujin

RE: ACCOUNTING 10.09.09 ForoFlamencoFund (in reply to gj Michelob

I totally missed that thread somehow.

I have a paypal account on my name, but for a bank account that doesnt exist anymore..I changed the bank years ago. When they accepted my new data, I will also help the foro. sry guys being late.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2010 10:20:01

orsonw

RE: ACCOUNTING 10.09.09 ForoFlamencoFund (in reply to at_leo_87

Dear GJ
Thank you, I have appreciated all the work you've done behind the scenes. Organising the production and release of the Foro CD was an impressive achievement. I have always enjoyed your posts and presence on the foro.
I got the impression from a recent post that you may no longer be playing flamenco, is this true?
Regards Orson
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2010 11:05:26

gj Michelob

Thank you again for the kind words.

A notorious dictator’s doctrine warned that:
“who is not with us is against us”.
If we will indulge me a rhetorical turn of phrase, the founder of what is possibly the most popular faith, had it reversed and comforted his easily irritable followers by more optimistically declaring the opposite:
“who is not against us, is with us”.

What made me lose interest in flamenco is how it was leading me –as many others here- to embrace the first and less tolerant side of this philosophical chiasmus.

In part, this phenomenon is quite recurrent with foreigners’ stiff, intransigent, dogmatic approach to applying grammar, when learning English, as they lack that instinctive and more playful feel for the language that only native speakers can command.

The unrelenting, yet petty, diatribe regarding who and what is or is not Flamenco, ultimately exhausted me.

Ironically, we had some old friends from Spain visiting last night. Three generations of women, all well versed in flamenco dance, which they all studied since tender age. And before I could even introduce my concern (as I do here), they all unanimously shared that since they moved to the US, they found that while it is commendable how many love and study flamenco, they all seem a little too serious about it, and appear to forget or neglect the fun it should bring. Ultimately, the older lady entertained us by dancing to a Gypsy Kings’ tune which randomly played on my wife’s iPod. And proved her point brilliantly.

Pease know that not only I hold no grudges nor have I any regrets about ForoFlamenco, to the contrary, I am grateful for the opportunities I had here, and all I have learned, for the spontaneous friendships it formed and the many which will survive my resignations.

I am anxiously expecting my new Huss & Dalton 00-sp today (followed next month by a Martin 00-28vs) which I acquired after selling my Conde Hermanos. Both are finger style steel strings, and I look forward to resuming country and bluegrass. Yet my German Vazquez Rubio Blanca will always be on the stand as you all will remain in my heart, with the many fond memories I have of this ForoFlamenco… a place to share, learn and enjoy “flamenco”.

Once again, have wonderful beginning y’all, hasta luego amigos.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2010 15:41:08

Gummy

RE: RESIGNATIONS AND FINAL ACCOUNTIN... (in reply to gj Michelob

I can totally understand your decision. Flamenco is beautiful but as a guitar style, it is really really demanding. The skills required to be just ok are really high(relatively speaking). There are so many other styles of guitar that are very beautiful that have large followings of people that are more socially flexible.

I think it is important sometimes to unload things in life that demand more than they repay. I recently sold some golf clubs. They were pretty nice ones but I never had time(or was not willing to dedicate that time) to take lessons and get better. Everytime I saw them in the corner, I felt like I should go play or take a lesson. Finally, I decided I needed to cut down on my hobbies so I can enjoy a few of them more. I sold the clubs and experienced a huge weight leave my shoulders. I bought them for fun but they were stressing me out.

I am not a good flamenco player but I come to the forum every day and enjoy the interaction I read. I don't post much but I feel a funny sense of community just reading. Please stop by now and then just to say hi. You have always been a positive part of the forum and I will miss your posts as well. I wish you the best.
Rod
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2010 16:42:59

Doitsujin

Oh, thats very sad you lost interest in flamenco.

well,..I lost it also,..several times... But the fun came back. You should go to some good shows and see what happens after some time.
I wouldn't overhasty sell guitars and cut off myself from anything that reminds me on flamenco. You could regret that some month later.

But...I also thought about quitting completely flamenco.. It would be like a new start in life... More time for other things... Normal looking fingers... :.)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2010 18:22:02

Ron.M

RE: RESIGNATIONS AND FINAL ACCOUNTIN... (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

I also thought about quitting completely flamenco.. It would be like a new start in life...

Yeah Doit,

Tell me about it...(sigh)

I think about it too...

"Flamencoholics Anonymous"

Get rid of the monkey on your back and start to live life like a normal person again....

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2010 18:26:27

Doitsujin

quote:

hmmmmm a .... "normal" life.. Would be cool...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2010 19:26:31

Ron.M

quote:

The unrelenting, yet petty, diatribe regarding who and what is or is not Flamenco, ultimately exhausted me.

Alas, gj....this is unfortunately the same sort of pettiness of argument and discussion one finds in things like.. what is and what is not the Law of the Land and "why should it be so complicated and unreasonable to the ordinary person"?

A lot of people become exhausted and exasperated that the Law is not just "simple common sense" and why folk can't just do what they naturally feel is "right" without others complaining that they are "wrong".

Or in the logic of the great E.L. Wisty...

"...A Whale is not a fish......it is an Insect..and lives on bananas"

A perfectly reasonable position to take if one believes one is correct in his/her analysis.

But may, or may not not be upheld in court according to the evidence...

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2010 19:43:28

ralexander

Sorry to see you go, gj. I'm new here but have enjoyed your posts in my archive searches. Glad to hear you're keeping one flamenco guitar - I recently sold the last of my steel string guitars to devote myself to flamenco and I regret not having one around for when the craving strikes. Saludos and happy new year!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2010 20:27:59

Rain

Good luck to you gj Michelob.

I sent you my foro donation yesterday, I hope I'm not to late and have not caused you more work.

Free Palestine
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 1 2011 0:06:34

cathulu

GJ, I am very sorry to hear you are leaving the foro. I thought your resignation was more regarding the fund administration.

You are a valuable member, but I think you jumped in and did too much, your candle burnt too brightly and was wasted eventually. I am thinking of Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer) in Blade Runner - but Roy was better looking

At the same time, I feel that blaming the "petty diatribe" is a bit disingenuous and I don't mean this in an insulting way. It is very simple to ignore the petty threads. You are in fashion, where you are exposed to that nitty petty diatribe BS all of the time are you not? Is that not at the very core of fashion??? So you should be use to it by now I would think and have a thick enough skin!

Maybe you really are a man from another era which is what I said in one of my first posts when you introduced yourself. Our ways now just do not sit well with you.

I am agreed though, that at some point with Flamenco there are less questions to ask, and a waning of interest. So it is with everything in life. But I always find interest comes and goes like the cycles of the moon. I think you may be a very fickle fellow?

Anyways, good luck to you and all the best! Happy New Year! And I hope you pop in every once in a while.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 1 2011 5:30:24

Munin

With all due respect, I don't understand how the petty drama on an internet forum can make one lose interest in a whole musical art form, but I maybe I'm just strange...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 1 2011 5:42:05

edguerin

quote:

My name's Ed and I'm a flamencoholic ....

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 1 2011 6:29:58

gbv1158

I am new to this forum and certainly I may be wrong but I understand the words of gj with whom I was lucky enough to exchange a few private emails some time ago because both Italians. I quickly realized that he is a special person.
He wrote an important thing : one of the biggest mistakes you can make in internet forum is to take it too seriously!, I agree because had a similar experience in a motorcyclists forum in Italy, we started a few with very good understanding each other, but when we became many in the forum, begun the discussions and arguments about who was better than another until to forget the main reason that kept us together : the pleasure to meet each other as we were kids playng. At that point, although I was one of the founders of the Forum, I left it. To tell the truth I miss the friends with whom I started the experience of the forum.

That made me realize that Internet is like a square where you can meet many people, so it is normal to meet who believing to be the best "talks with loud voice". In this case the better to do is waiting hi/she gets tired of "screaming" because than he/she will live by him/herself. That's all, I belive, thare is nothing else to do.

Flamenco is a great opportunity to turn things of life, in song, dance and sound ......we only have to learn.
Music in general is a too precious experience, we togheter have only to enjoy it.

I hope you Giacomo ( gj) remain in the forum.

ciao
Giambattista
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 1 2011 9:41:51

Ailsa

RE: RESIGNATIONS AND FINAL ACCOUNTIN... (in reply to gbv1158

Dear gj,

I wanted to echo the messages of support you have had. Your behaviour on the foro has been a lesson to us all, and your generosity and support for others unmatched.

Wherever your music takes you don't forget about your success in the Foro Composition Challenge - a worthy winner with a beautiful and original concept.

Kind regards and best wishes for the future,

Ailsa

http://www.flamencojourney.com
http://www.myspace.com/flamencojourney
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 1 2011 11:56:14

Grisha

gj,

I am very sorry to see you go... I also would like to thank you for all that you've done here. I always enjoyed your posts which I sometimes read with a dictionary...

Perhaps, you could change your mind... Life is always changing and it's not always good to be setting anything in stone. I was going to leave flamenco a couple of years ago and even said goodbye here (some of you remember). I am glad I didn't! Perhaps you can get inspired again by this beautiful art form... I just wanted to say that you are always welcomed here...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 1 2011 19:10:26

bursche

RE: RESIGNATIONS AND FINAL ACCOUNTIN... (in reply to Grisha

I'm sorry to hear that GJ.

You put so much commitment into this forum and you've been a unique part of the foro. It makes me sad to imagine that I'll never read your elaborated contributions again.
However, nobody should feel forced to practice any kind of art, it would be the end of one's creativity.

I wish you all the best!

Visit me on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRaGz6Lf-Uz0HxUv-dGQFLQ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 1 2011 20:23:28

NormanKliman

gj, thanks and hope you stick around. About steel-string, I still get a lot of fun and technique out of Big Bill Broonzy (look for his recordings of just guitar), Reverend Gary Davis and Mississippi John Hurt.

Be here now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 1 2011 20:39:47

Arash

Whatever reason made you leave....hope to see you back some time in the future.

I agree with all others. You were always friendly and very helpful and you did a lot for the foro.

I also agree with Grisha (dictionary!)
Man, i even sometimes use dictionary for the "normal" posts, not to mention yours!

best of luck to you

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 2 2011 16:32:01
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote