Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Dented Yamaha CG171SF makeover   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

X

Dented Yamaha CG171SF makeover 

Hi, guys,

A quick update on my dented Yamaha CG171SF, pictures of which I posted here last June.

I replaced the saddle with Graph Tech Tusq (tm) and lowered the 12th fret action to 2.5 mm on both E strings. I also replaced the nut with Graph Tech Black Tusq (tm). While at it, I sanded down any rough spots I could feel inside and put in D'Addario EJ45s. The results, both good and not so good, really surprised me:

GOOD - the guitar is definitely louder, especially on the treble side. It's also acquired a ringing, bell-like quality that makes it "sing" more. Don't know if this is permanent or simply because the strings are new.

Also noticed it's not necessary to fret so hard to play. I don't think this is because of my changes, but guess it's because the frets are still new and unworn compared to my old classical, which is 45 years old. I'd unthinkingly carried over my learned left-hand playing style to this guitar and just happened to notice just now that I don't have to press so hard.

NOT SO GOOD - it definitely sustains more, which, I'm told, is NOT good in a flamenco. To overcome this sustain, I have to rasgueo louder so each finger stroke sounds distinct and separate, but this also increases the rasp. Good perhaps for some toques but I don't like it in Peteneras.

There's also more coupling between strings now. For example, when I play the open first string (E), the 7th-fret harmonic on the open "A" string is excited too and in fact rings on for about 15 seconds, long after the "E" string has died down. I haven't decided if I like this or not (probably will decide "it's not that important.")

QUESTIONS:

1. Anything I can do to cut sustain and retain the GOOD improvements?

2. Anything I can do to cut coupling? Is splitting the bridge (like on the Kasha) a good idea, or maybe splitting the saddle? (I tend to think doing the latter would have minimal effect as long as the bridge is one piece).

3. For some reason ligados are very difficult to play on this guitar. They come out sounding very weak (it's not me, 'cause I'm fine on the other guitar). I'm guessing again it's because of fret height. Am I right? Is filing frets down something a non-luthier should attempt?

Which leads me to ask: have they ever made any guitars with adjustable-height frets? I'm thinking a mechanism in the fingerboard under each fret, adjusted with a simple Allen wrench applied on the thumb side. You could even advance the fret as it wears down to nothing, much like a glue stick :)

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance, guys!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 20 2009 16:28:27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post