Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: soundportparty in my patio   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   3 4 [5] 6 7    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

hamia

RE: soundportparty in my patio (in reply to JasonMcGuire

deleted
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 2:17:57

buddytalk

RE: soundportparty in my patio (in reply to hamia

Hi Hamia,
I guess you recognized Rubens shirt maker.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 2:51:40

hamia

RE: soundportparty in my patio (in reply to buddytalk

quote:

ORIGINAL: buddytalk

Hi Hamia,
I guess you recognized Rubens shirt maker.

Ha ha ... yes, now that you mention it.

It doesn't fit very well - not quite sure what it's doing behind his right arm. A strong case for getting a refund from his tailor I think ...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 3:29:55

Tom Blackshear

quote:

ORIGINAL: JasonMcGuire

quote:

ORIGINAL: DonS

***Bullets flying***Ducking for cover*** HOLY CRAP what happened?!

You think its bad here...... you should see my email inbox.

I think what happened was TomB made some insulting comments about some really great guitar builders and some of the things they are doing experimentally lately. That really is too bad DonS...... and that comment about singers not liking sound ports was classic.

The whole protocol for how we sit in relation to the singer is such that the soundhole is pointed in their direction somewhat so that they DO get a direct IN YOUR FACE sound from their accompanist. One of the first things I learned about accompaniment..... The guitarist sits on the singers left side so that the singer hears the guitar well. Haven't you guys noticed that by now!

Come on by Don when you get back to Cali. Bring that Blackshear with you and a few beers and we can get Glenn to come over with his hole saw.

Oh...... who's not that crazy about their Canin guitar....... Stephen Bell?........ long story there. You should play that guitar. Its a classical, but its one hell of a guitar.

Speaking of good old Stevie, he told me of a New York guitar repair guy who used to put lots tiny holes in the wings of the bridge back in the 70's..... That's a sound port too. maybe that guy was who REALLY invented soundports.

Here is another funny thought....... "Manuel Reyes: The ONLY true Innovator of Modern Flamenco Guitar Lutherie" by Tom Blackshear.

Sorry...... I couldn't resist the temptation..... Lets see if this gets all of those lurkers to come in from the darkness and contribute to the discussion Tom.

Well............What can I say, heh heh, it's an improvement on my body :-)

And my mention about a loud guitar and singers was taken from a Maria Benitez concert where Bill Rios was playing a Bernabe guitar and it just about blew the singer off his chair. The singer made an expression that told the whole story about loud guitars and singers :-) The volume of the guitar was definitely disproportionate from the singer.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 3:53:29

hamia

RE: soundportparty in my patio (in reply to Tom Blackshear

Tom,

Didn't actually realise it was you - I ought to pay more attention. Sincere apologies for my jesting. Actually the shirt isn't that bad!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 4:55:22

Tom Blackshear

quote:

ORIGINAL: hamia

Tom,

Didn't actually realise it was you - I ought to pay more attention. Sincere apologies for my jesting. Actually the shirt isn't that bad!

For those of you that actually think this is my person. It appears that Jason is having fun by connecting my head to someone else's body :-)

Bad, Jason, really bad :-)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 5:05:09

hamia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Blackshear

quote:

ORIGINAL: hamia

Tom,

For those of you that actually think this is my person. It appears that Jason is having fun by connecting my head to someone else's body :-)

Bad, Jason, really bad :-)

Ha ha. Man, am I slow on the uptake. And I saw our friend Ruben's photos as well ...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 5:19:17

TANúñez

RE: soundportparty in my patio (in reply to Anders Eliasson

I cannot believe how carried away and out of hand this discussion has gotten solely on the topic of soundports. What do you guys say we get really crazy and change the topic to cutaways or guitars with armrests. Let's get wild!

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 6:55:23

Ron.M

RE: soundportparty in my patio (in reply to TANúñez

quote:

What do you guys say we get really crazy and change the topic to cutaways or guitars with armrests. Let's get wild!

OK Tom,

How about a Flamenco guitar with "f" shaped soundholes and a coloured tap plate? (fluorescent orange, pink, red.... paisley pattern even!).

Would be different anyway.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 7:16:55

xirdneH_imiJ

RE: soundportparty in my patio (in reply to Ron.M

back to topic, i admit i only read the first and last pages of the conversation so someone might have asked or talked about this, but would the effect be the same if the soundport wasn't just a hole, but something more fancy, like several small holes forming a certain shape?

btw - i can certainly see the positive effect for anyone playing for their own satisfaction, dance classes or loud juergas, but perhaps a pro who often plays with monitors might not need it at all and can concentrate more on the sound the audience gets (saying this despite knowing Grisha and Jason both play guitars with soundports)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 7:38:00

Florian

RE: soundportparty in my patio (in reply to xirdneH_imiJ

yeah but noone practices with monitors or plays for clases or rehearses with microphones...i imagine that when someone needs the most inspiration cause performing is eazy to find it...the audience always inspires anyway...the port will probably be forghotten then

btw.. i wasent sure how much something like this cost so to be sure i wont be short i waited till tonight to get paid for a gig i did...gonna get it done tomarow now...unless it takes more then a day cause i need my guitar tomarow night

Anders how long does it take you to do something like this and approx how much does it cost ? feel free to pm me...just to have some kind of an idea of the time and cost involved

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 7:55:22

TANúñez

RE: soundportparty in my patio (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

OK Tom,

How about a Flamenco guitar with "f" shaped soundholes and a coloured tap plate? (fluorescent orange, pink, red.... paisley pattern even!).

Would be different anyway.

cheers,

Ron

Whoa there Ron. That is too hardcore for this forum. Baby steps first.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 8:39:41

chapman_g

quote:

ORIGINAL: xirdneH_imiJ
but would the effect be the same if the soundport wasn't just a hole, but something more fancy, like several small holes forming a certain shape?

Something like this only much smaller and on the side? Okay I might go for that and think the guitar is still very traditional looking.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 8:57:02

xirdneH_imiJ

RE: soundportparty in my patio (in reply to chapman_g

that looks excellent - i'd go for that...
of course rarely would anyone else see it :) - not for the audience...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 9:01:40

xirdneH_imiJ

RE: soundportparty in my patio (in reply to Florian

you're right Flo...although there have been generations of guitarists doing fine without a soundport :) - but still, unless it worsens the guitar's sound in general it seems like a very useful idea...
yeah what would be the cost and how much time would it take?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 9:05:09

Florian

quote:

although there have been generations of guitarists doing fine without a soundport :)

yeah but they also got around on horseback and had no internet

i am just kidding..well its the way i see it, if theres no negative effects then its a bonus if we can hear ourselfs even better because of a litlle alteration....excellent

i am not gonna not use a colour tv because a whole generation before us got by just fine watching black and white tvs or listening to the radio...if its not available fair enough...but if it is...

i get the feeling everyone wants the benefits of this but some are concerned about the hole or about the value...everyone can decide for themselfs whats important to them but i dont care ...its just an instrument...made to be used

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 9:10:33

Anders Eliasson

x

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 9:17:00

Florian

RE: soundportparty in my patio (in reply to Anders Eliasson

quote:

In Spain they dont like paying for reparations.

oh nah here in Australia we love it

thanks

wow.. i hope hes gonna do it faster then 3 days...like on the spot (hes a mate, il try to slip him 30 - 50 bucs extra) i need the guitar back straight away

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 9:19:27

Aadi

RE: soundportparty in my patio (in reply to TANúñez

quote:

What do you guys say we get really crazy and change the topic to cutaways or guitars with armrests. Let's get wild!

Someone could start a Spanish heel vs. bolt-on thread, that ought to stir the pot...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 10:04:29

XXX

from what i heard on Jasons video... i think changing the strings manufacturer would affect your sound unproportional more than a soundport or not...
the only thing that changes is that the sound is more open... that is positive IMO. Maybe not for classical (i dont know), but for flamenco for sure.

I mean... we could still play with gut strings. Probably there are people who refuse to use nylon strings because its not... traditional?
What would happen if Paco toured with a port? Im sure many people dont even know that there is such a thing, and what its positive effects are... (i didnt)
I mean, were there any guitarists who creamed vaseline on their guitars before Paco did this???

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 10:08:52

Florian

RE: soundportparty in my patio (in reply to XXX

lets make a bet...how many years before we see Paco with one ? if he dosent allready have one i say 1 maybe 2 at the most

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 10:33:20

at_leo_87

quote:

lets make a bet...how many years before we see Paco with one ? if he dosent allready have one i say 1 maybe 2 at the most

hmmmm..... i say at least 3-5. i think it'll catch on with the younger people first.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 11:13:30

domzo

I bet this guitar sounds a bit woof!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 11:19:35

Ron.M

quote:

i am not gonna not use a colour tv because a whole generation before us got by just fine watching black and white tvs or listening to the radio...if its not available fair enough...but if it is...

i get the feeling everyone wants the benefits of this but some are concerned about the hole or about the value...everyone can decide for themselfs whats important to them

Yep Flo,

That's my feeling also.
There has been a development in swimsuits that are making Olympic athletes take 0.5 of a second off their best times.
A disgruntled swimmer said.. " I would normally have to work hard for a whole year to take 0.1 second off my time....this is as bad as performance enhancing drugs in my opinion... now World records are being broken every other month...I really don't like it."

Well...that's life basically!

With the huge increase in power from the very tiny electric motors used in common electronic goods over the past 20 years (of which I have had personal experience), plus the huge progress in battery performance (such as the Lithium-Polymer battery pack in your laptop or SatNav), it's only a matter of time (say 30 years?) when Petrol or Diesel engined cars will be as old as a steam engine and electric cars will easily outperform a Ferrari or Porsche of today.

Just wait and see!

I can even see Luthiers using other materials (other than wood) and although it might sound appalling just now, they will gradually adjust to new technology.

The ones that don't will become redundant IMO.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 11:38:42

Anders Eliasson

x

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 11:40:53

Anders Eliasson

x

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 11:55:13

Anders Eliasson

RE: soundportparty in my patio (in reply to domzo

x

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 12:00:38

jshelton5040

RE: soundportparty in my patio (in reply to XXX

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deniz

I mean, were there any guitarists who creamed vaseline on their guitars before Paco did this???

Classic guitarists have been using vaseline on the finger tips since long before Paco was born. I did my first experiments with extra sound ports in the 60's and it wasn't a new idea then. In truth just about any innovation you can think of has already been tried by somebody.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 12:21:14

Tom Blackshear

quote:

ORIGINAL: JasonMcGuire

Here is another funny thought....... "Manuel Reyes: The ONLY true Innovator of Modern Flamenco Guitar Lutherie" by Tom Blackshear.

I can take a little sadistic humor, Amigo but I think it might be appropriate if you apologize for the crack about Manuel Reyes, as he is the most well know builder of flamenco guitars in the world.

RE Brune and I did an article about M. Reyes for the GAL magazine over a year ago. This Gentleman has contributed a great amount of information and guitar art to players world wide, and I hope you see the problem with bringing his name into this funny/hilarious chit chat.

Remember, we are only productive, to a great extent in this business, on account of those who have gone before us. We stand on the shoulders of giants.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 12:28:44

JasonMcGuire

quote:

I can take a little sadistic humor, Amigo but I think it might be appropriate if you apologize for the crack about Manuel Reyes, as he is the most well know builder of flamenco guitars in the world.

Relax TomB. The crack was at you, not Reyes, just as any of my replies to Prof. Ruben had nothing to do with Paco de Lucia.

Do you really think that Manuel Reyes is THE most well known builder of flamenco guitars IN THE WORLD? ........ perhaps in your world.

Sometimes its good to get out of your own head.

http://www.Flamenco-Lessons.com/
http://www.CaminosFlamencos.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Bikhiyal
http://flamenco-lessons.blogspot.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2009 12:40:15
Page:   <<   <   3 4 [5] 6 7    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   3 4 [5] 6 7    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread