Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Paco de Lucia and the Contemporary Flamenco Guitar   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2 3 4    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ron.M

Paco de Lucia and the Contemporary F... 

Hi Folks,

I have been talking with Ruben over the past week or so and he has sent me a research paper which he has just finished and published.

It is obviously a very serious and technical piece of work and I think members would be interested in discussing some of the points made.

Please keep all comment directed at the publication and not at Ruben himself, as he cannot reply directly due to his posting restrictions here.

I am really looking for a serious critical discussion here and not another "popcorn" thread that demeans the reputation of ForoFlamenco.

So any smart one-liners or funny put downs of Ruben personally will just be deleted as will anything personally offensive or insulting.

If you can't think of anything intelligent to say, then don't.

The link is here:

http://****/rdpacoart.html

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2009 6:29:44

xirdneH_imiJ

RE: Paco de Lucia and the Contempora... (in reply to Ron.M

as intelligently as i can say, i seriously think this is too much analysis...most people that understand flamenco know and acknowledge Paco de Lucía as a genius, an artist, an innovator in flamenco music, but this kind of analysis is perhaps not the best way to prove his godlikeness...quite the opposite, i think it kind of brings revulsion towards the artist himself who's had nothing to do with all this - because many people will obviously feel that other great contributors to the genre are looked down upon...while Paco de Lucía's importance in flamenco is obvious, and even if he's my favorite musician, i can't honestly say that his contribution to modern flamenco is 100% - Ruben says just that, and i'd think most people would appreciate what he has to say much more if he were to admit that Paco is "only" 99%...i've listened to all Paco records and live recordings a million times and have gotten a lot from him, musically, aesthetically, in every sense almost, but i've also listened to other greats and many upcoming artists and can't say they haven't brought anything to flamenco...surely after Paco de Lucía it's very difficult to be an innovator...but music is music, one plays it for pleasure, the goal is rarely to become an innovator...i listen to Paco for pleasure, i listen to Gerardo, Tomatito, Vicente for the same reasons - they all touch the strings differently, achieveing your own tone on the guitar is an innovation in itself, who am i to say Vicente is nobody because Paco's done everything before him, while it's obvious he has his own tone, his own style? even if i was Paco's father, brother, son, pupil, best friend, i wouldn't have the right...and from what i've heard of him and the kind of person he was he would surely say that this whole thing, arguments, analysis is a waste of time and energy...he'd encourage us to find our own ways and believe our own ears - that's what playing music is all about...

edit: it was funny to read Juan Martín's name in there :)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2009 6:48:36

Doitsujin

First of all its not a research paper. Its an article,.. but not published anywhere.. so its a "blog-entry" on Rubens-blog.

In a research paper you have to proof your viewpoints. Its not sufficient just to tell your imaginations... Any paper has to be reviewed and has to undergo analyses if its worth to publish or not. Im not sure if this article would be able to pass any review. There are no references at all,.. he links from this text to copyright protected tracks of Paco illegally uploaded on youtube..

Well,.. I´ll read it in more detail now. Its interesting for sure.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2009 7:06:20

Ron.M

RE: Paco de Lucia and the Contempora... (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

First of all its not a research paper. Its an article,.. but not published anywhere

Sorry Doit....My error!

Ruben did call it an "article", however he later referred to it as "research work"....so hence my mistake.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2009 7:38:13

srshea

“Paco de Lucía, the only innovator of contemporary flamenco guitar.”

That’s the title of the thing! And the primary purpose of the article is “to demonstrate that Paco de Lucía is the only innovator of contemporary flamenco music.”

Sorry, I’m sure the article is quite serious, and probably has something of value in it somewhere, and I might get around to reading someday, but right now I just can’t get past that absolutely silly title.

Diaz has his own website that anyone can visit any time they want. I don’t think he needs or deserves the extra support and attention from this foro.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2009 8:10:01

edguerin

The article's interesting enough, and obviously Ruben really put a lot of work into it.
This in itself is worthy of acclaim ...

However nobody would claim that Mozart or Beethoven or Stockhausen (too name but a few) hadn't borrowed from their predecessors or that nobody after them had been innovative.

Finally, IMO enthusiasm is going a bit far, when Ruben states:
quote:

The revolution that Paco de Lucia carried out in the flamenco guitar was not only in the way of playing it but in its construction (morphology), woods, sound (timbre) as well as in its proportions.

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind, that PdL revolutionized flamenco.
Need more be said?

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2009 8:36:43

srshea

And this is not meant to be an ad hominem zinger, but he signed this article as

“Prof. Ruben Diaz
Ph.D. Contemporary Harmony
and Composition”

I can’t find any mention of any actual academic history on Diaz’s website, the RCM site (where he is not referred to as “Professor”), or anywhere else. No CV, no mention of what universities he studied at or where he took his degrees.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a Ph.D not listing his academic background, or where he got his degree, in his official bio.

Signing a paper or article with those academic titles obviously lends a considerable amount of extra weight to the arguments within it, so whether or not someone actually is a Ph.D is of crucial importance in judging the authenticity of the claims being made and of the person making them. You know, “bona fides” and such.

Ron, I know you asked that all comments be directed at the content of the article itself, and not its author, but this whole Prof./Ph.D thing is a huge unanswered question, and an important one, I think. If the guy actually is a Ph.D I’ll happily shut up and move on. I’ve already spent too much of my Saturday morning trying find the dude’s CV. But if those titles are just honorary or otherwise less than official, well, I think that’s kind of a big deal, and something that should be addressed.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2009 9:17:24

JasonMcGuire

RE: Paco de Lucia and the Contempora... (in reply to srshea

I just received a link to this article via private message. Since it was made public here I will include for members my response to Ruben's article.......

Hi Ruben,

I read through your article and I will say first that I respect the time it takes to put together information in such a way. There are many things that are not accurate. Paco de Lucia is without a doubt the most innovative flamenco guitarist and in my opinion still the best guitarist in the world, but there are claims that you are making that are simply not true. I attribute your mistake to the fact that you are using recordings to mark "first uses" of most of your findings. Recording in the 70's and 80's was an expensive endeavor and few young gypsy guitarists had the good fortune to find themselves in that situation. Record companies have always been somewhat apprehensive about working with gitanos. I base that on first hand experience. I have been brought in by record companies to help guide recordings and to serve as a mediator between artists and executives. But my career is beside the point here.
There are many false claims of innovation in your article, I will only mention a couple because I have to go and teach in a few minutes.

First of all the use of golpe without the nail of the annular finger of the right hand..... my teacher Pedro Cortes was taught this as a child in the 1960's. He was also taught "double alzapua with golpe" in this time. He learned directly from Sabicas and his father and knows Paco de Lucia intimately and has known Paco since Paco's first visit to the US. One other thing that caught my attention that I know for a fact is not an innovation of Paco de Lucia is the use of the guitar tonal center of Eb Phrygian (6 por medio without cejia). My friend David Serva (David Jones), a San Francisco native who moved to Spain in the 1960's composed a Rondeña in that key in the 1970's. He was good friends with Filipe Maya, who is proabably responsible for validating the use of the key by other guitarists. David Serva in explaining the key mentioned that he was looking for a way to get the sound and character of Ramon Montoya's innovative Rondeña tuning without having to detune the guitar. One last and fairly obvious mistake on your part is the claim that tapado is the innovation of Paco. This one is ridiculous. Ruben, you are far too talented and educated to screw up you career at this early stage by getting stuck defending yourself in this manner. You have sufficiently paid your respects to Paco de Lucia, although I would urge you to make these claims in the forum at http://www.pacodelucia.org/foro/. I think there you will find many who think like yourself.

Better than all of this talk of Paco, I think the compositions you have done are wonderful and I would direct your energies there rather than to fight battles that are not really your battles. Paco has been through and won his own battles and has gracefully followed his own path. His humility amazes me as much as his music and that in itself is a lesson for all of us to learn.

Perhaps in depth research of flamenco technique and innovation should be conducted and presented first in Spain. Toronto doesn't really seem to be the optimum choice in location to break such bold finidings about the art of flamenco.

http://www.Flamenco-Lessons.com/
http://www.CaminosFlamencos.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Bikhiyal
http://flamenco-lessons.blogspot.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2009 9:30:04

gj Michelob

quote:

If you can't think of anything intelligent to say, then don't.

Very insightful answers above. My 2 pesetas…('hope they qualify):

I too received a private message from Ruben Diaz with links to his article. At first, I thought had sent it to address my query on composing a Solea. He did not. He seems to have pm’d a few –if not all the- members, bypassing the forum’s embargo by disseminating yet more self-promoting propaganda.

The article, or research paper, seems to be based on Diaz’ personal views, perceptions and personal uncorroborated experience, rather than on fact, testimony, or other body of established authority. Hence, not a reliable schedule of conclusions. But above all, an inconsequential document, I find. My favorite Chinese aphorism inevitably comes to mind, as so much time is spent by scrutinizing details which do not sum up to the greatness they are quoted to have conjured. “when the master points to the moon, a bad student stares at the finger”.

Paco may or may not have introduced “negras” as opposed to “blancas” or other technical improvements detailed in Ruben Diaz’ schedule. Yet Paco de Lucia’s pioneering contribution is not predicated on a handful of such oddities, but on his artistry as a whole. He certainly built on tradition, and borrowed from the past in order to reinvent the future of flamenco to which, in turn, many have contributed, some inspired Paco some were by him.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2009 11:26:59

Ron.M

quote:

can’t find any mention of any actual academic history on Diaz’s website, the RCM site (where he is not referred to as “Professor”), or anywhere else. No CV, no mention of what universities he studied at or where he took his degrees.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a Ph.D not listing his academic background, or where he got his degree, in his official bio.

Yeah Adam,

I've found the same thing myself.

I've no idea of how the educational establishment works in N.America.

Here in the UK a Professor is normally a "Dr" who is Head of a department.

I also find it difficult to agree with his general findings, but cannot argue with his Harmonic Analysis etc, since I have no musical training, but I know a lot of folk here do.

Still, he is a very good player and is willing to help students here for free, so I cannot dismiss him completely.

I like this one myself, not because of any "Paco" vibe, but just because he plays Flamenco well IMO.

http://****/rdvideo24.html

I can't understand why he needs to carry the cross for Paco, when Paco doesn't need any cross to be carried.???

Anyway, stay respectful as you have been doing.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2009 11:53:37

srshea

Alright, I just read through this sucker. This thing simply just does not warrant serious critical discussion. Every page is filled with absolutely silly, unproven, and purely subjective claims and assertions. It would be a waste of time to address these individually.

In his opening argument he states that:

“This article is not for the sake of discredit or criticism of anyone nor to present an individual’s opinion about the subject; opposite to that, it offers a scientific and an objective comparative analysis supported by the standard orthodox tenets on musical theory and harmony as well as the essential flamenco principles, namely, rhythmic, techniques and musical arrangement.”

Diaz’s method of providing objective, “scientific” proof of his claims is patently ridiculous. He simply makes a claim (that PDL pioneered a certain right-hand technique, style of crossing the legs, use of a certain chord, etc.), cites a recorded example of PDL performing said technique, and then leaves it at that. That’s it. In his comparative analyses he offers a “randomly” chosen example of another player, a contemporary of PDL or a someone from a subsequent generation, points out examples of them playing a certain chord or technique, or crossing their legs in a certain way, or playing a guitar made of a particular kind of wood, etc., cites an example of PDL doing this same thing at an earlier time, and, again, simply leaves it at that.

By what reasonable standard does this provide any “scientific” proof of any of Diaz’s assertions!?! It proves nothing. This perversion of the scientific method would get you a failing grade in any high school science class. This is not a serious, scholarly piece of scientific/aesthetic discourse. It’s a parody of one.

This here is from page 4:

“This analysis leads to the conclusion that none of the guitar players above mentioned (the list of players Diaz mentions include Cepero, Sanulcar, Amigo, Pepe Habichuela, Nino de Pura, Gerardo Nunez, Tomatito, Nino Jero, Nino Josele, Diego del Morao, and Antonio Rey) have done any innovation or contribution in any field of flamenco guitar. Some of them have just taken what Paco de Lucía did long time ago without even realizing it thinking that they have done some novelty. Others just took for granted that the way they play the guitar is the way it has been always done. The most important point is that it is due to IGNORANCE and lack of an academic approach that they present themselves as innovators, original composers etc. This is a very serious situation, and it’s the main cause of the lack of creativity in flamenco music realm now a days.”

How can this be taken seriously or be responded to in any respectful seriousness? This kind of thing is beneath comment.

Diaz ends his article with this:

“Flamenco contemporary music is, thanks to Paco de Lucia, a great field for musical creation which doesn’t belong to a specific culture anymore, but to humanity.”

After pages of proving that PDL is the only innovative or creative figure in flamenco’s past four decades, Diaz concludes his argument by, uh, negating his whole argument!?!

Well, a good joke does need a strong punch line.

The professor gets an F.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2009 12:13:43

srshea

Hey Ron, in the U.S. and Canada (where Diaz is living and working) “professor” is a legal title. I know that standards for that sort of thing are different from country to country, and that in Spain “professor” is more a of honorific given to high level teachers. But Diaz is teaching in a country where the title, professor, has a very specific and real definition, so someone should definitely BE a professor if they’re gonna call themselves one. ‘Round these parts, at least.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2009 12:24:10

Escribano

RE: Paco de Lucia and the Contempora... (in reply to gj Michelob

quote:

He seems to have pm’d a few –if not all the- members, bypassing the forum’s embargo by disseminating yet more self-promoting propaganda.

Thanks for the heads-up, I have removed his ability to send PMs.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2009 12:42:33

Mike_Kinny

While we are at it, last time that I was in Spain someone suggested that Paco was the first to use cejilla in flamenco. Thoughts?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2009 13:19:13

Pimientito

RE: Paco de Lucia and the Contempora... (in reply to Mike_Kinny

I dont know where you heard that. Cejillas have been used for decades to change pitch for singers. Here is Niño Ricardo using a cejilla. He appears to be playing a guitar quite well too. It is inconceivable to my mind that Paco was not influenced by the technique of such masters as Niño Ricardo and Sabicas...especially in light of the fact that the he has stated on many occasions that played their compositions.

...and Sabicas wasn't innovative in Flamenco guitar? Are you Kidding?

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2009 13:29:54

Mike_Kinny

RE: Paco de Lucia and the Contempora... (in reply to Pimientito

quote:

Cejillas have been used for decades to change pitch for singers. Here is Niño Ricardo using a cejilla.

Me thinks that people love Paco so much that they begin to imagine things.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2009 14:01:09

prd1

Ron,

It's very dificult to judge a piece of work with impartiality when the author has such a well established and indeed self-advertised history of bias towards the subject.

I would like to revert to enjoying Paco's recordings without a feeling of guilt as I don't understand the finer points of the development of his style; lets hope we don't get a Dr Nochez from Montreal who is a Vicente stalker or I'm out of here.

PS: Are you going to post a review of the CD that Ruben sent to you a few weeks ago? He's an excellent player so at least this may generate a bit of positive publicity...

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music - Angela Monet
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2009 14:47:06

Florian

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jun. 28 2009 0:19:19
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 27 2009 23:44:04

kozz

quote:

My intention with this article is to demonstrate de Lucia’s innovations in contemporary flamenco guitar and to get the appropriate perspective of his work through a detailed comparative analysis of the work and performance of other flamenco guitar players.This is my conclusion. ......

"This is my conclusion..." .... well that's just what it is. No scientific proof.

quote:

all should be called “Paco de Lucia techniques” and not “general flamenco techniques”.

This, in my opinion, is a real degradation to the whole Flamenco culture.

I was playing golpes, but didn't have any fingernails yet, so I always played flesh golpes, not nowing there was a difference in these kind of golpes.
Was I an innovator too, without nowing it?????
Well I don't think so....

As a scientist it is always very important to have as much references as possible, and leave as less room for discussion as possible (on a fact-level ofcourse and not THIS IS WHAT IT IS).

Prof.Dr.Diaz, I would sincerely appreciate Paco de Lucia's involvement in this, and also University of Toronto's official agreement on your article, since it has been spread arround the internet on lots of places.
Not everyone will question your statements, because they can feel overwhelmed by your "analysis", and therefore taking things for granted. Which would be another downfall for the whole flamenco society.

I kindly ask you to come up with the above, otherwhise I will ask U-of-T myselves what they think about your article.
U-of-T state not to be responsible for the content on 3rd party websites, which is valid, but they can question the content which is being teached.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2009 1:10:49

Doitsujin

I think Mr. Diaz should retract his "paper".

Most big points have been shown by other members above, thats Rubens analyses arent correct..

Here another. Page 2, point 3. Flamenco guitar techniques:
quote:

4. Simple alzapúa
5. Parado. This technical resource is muting the strings with the finger 4 of left hand.
NOTE: This techniques are no longer used.

No longer used? I see Gerardo Nunez doing the simple alzapua all the time, and even Paco does it often till today. Here a part of the opening of one of Pacos Bulerias:

As you see he uses it.

To point 5 Muting the strings with the finger of the left hand.. Anybody does that.. Watch Tomatitos bulerias. Or if Im allowd to do a comercial for my youtube video for jasons challenge.. During playing the opening compases Im muting the strings with fingers of the left hand.
Watch 0.28min...

Now its breakfast time!! Already lost so much of the day..

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2009 1:24:08

Doitsujin

Quote Rubens blog page 2 Point 2 Playing position:
quote:

The guitar was resting on the right thigh and held with the right arm making an 450 angle.

A 450° angle doesn't exist.. or am I wrong? As I heared 360° = 0° is the maximum..

Well.. its worthless to pointout all things.. its simply too much.. There is almost no evidence for any of his points. He just puts up long lists but dont show where he got the informations about this. I would be happy with some statements of Paco himself or some old documentations.. something solid.

Summarizing.. there is no chance to take Diaz´s text serious.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2009 1:33:07

kozz

quote:

ummarizing.. there is no chance to take Diaz´s text serious.

and therfore....a 450 degree angle

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2009 1:42:24

Doitsujin

LOL

I deleted my post down under this post, coz its not to the topic..

Ruben is a very good guitar player and seems to be well educated in theory about harmony etc.. Why is he so focused on Paco. Why all these strange texts? He must have had a happening maybe with Paco that really changed his mind... that made him to a big Paco fan. I mean there must be a reason for this enthusiasm. Its very good to be enthusiastic especially in flamenco. I think if he would listen to other opinions it would be a great pleasure to talk further with him.... Thats a pity. Its waste of great recourses..
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2009 1:44:57

Doitsujin

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jun. 28 2009 2:02:26
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2009 1:53:09

Pimientito

quote:

Every page is filled with absolutely silly, unproven, and purely subjective claims and assertions. It would be a waste of time to address these individually.

I couldnt have put it better myself. There are no references of any kind supporting any of the statements in this piece of "research". Althought the harmonic analysis of the pieces obviously took a lot of work the rest of the paper is a set of of statements with no reference or evidence supporting them.
Here is a good example on the page 2

Eg "...it was Paco de Lucía’s idea to make a guitar with the same wood as used for classic guitars (Indian Rosewood) keeping the same measurements and dimensions of the flamenco guitar."

What is the reference for that gem of knowledge. Did Paco go to Conde Hermanos and ask them to build him a guitar to that specification? Negras have been around for a long time but were generally more expensive and therefore out of the price range of many players.

My reference comes from "the guitar - a complete history. page 89"
which states

" however, there has not always been a clear differentiation between the classical guitar which is generally distinguished by its rosewood back and sides, and the flamenco guitar. It is quite possible that flamenco players may have initially used cypress guitars simply because thay were cheaper than rosewood instruments. Soon, however they came to appreciate the sharper sound..."

Sabicas own Esteso negra guitar is for sale on salon and that was built in 1931
http://www.guitarsalon.com/product.php?productid=3234

This is just one example of an miriad unresearched un referrenced subjective statements throughout the paper.

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2009 2:55:24

NormanKliman

Here are some of my impressions on all of this:

You guys ought to be a little more careful in your criticism because it's not the first time I've seen mistaken interpretations of this guy's claims. When he says that guitarists don't use muting anymore, this appears next to a comment on alzapúa, but he doesn't say that nobody plays alzapúa anymore. And the comment about a 450 degree angle is obviously because he used the zero symbol (0) instead of the degree symbol (º) and meant to say 45º angle.

But if you read through his text too quickly, I can hardly blame you. That's the main reason why I haven't really bothered to comment until now. I strongly disagree with his claims and I really don't like the way he's going about making them. Let's see... another talented guitarist who simultaneously dishes out extra helpings of hero-worship and contempt? Yeah, that's just what we need! In fact I think that's the biggest problem today rather than the ignorance or "lack of academic approach" that he mentions. Depositing all your faith in one person whom you hold above yourself is one of the more unfortunate human behavior patterns. In matters of life and death (i.e., politics and religion), it might be easier to understand, but this is art!!! If you want to see how this affects flamenco, look at the phenomenon of mairenismo. In one of Paco's interviews, he says that "everyone sang like Mairena and we all played like Melchor."

He only analyzes bulerías, and only one bulería of each of several players. This makes for an extremely poor analysis that is representative of nothing, not even bulerías.

He states, "This article is not for the sake of discredit or criticism of anyone..." but goes on to say, "...none of the guitar players above mentioned (...) have done any innovation or contribution in any field of flamenco guitar." I'm sorry, that's just talking trash.

About the cross-legged position, there's a photo of a guitarist playing cross-legged at the Concurso de Granada in 1922. It's on the Sonifolk CD of recordings from García Lorca's record collection. The guitarist is propping the lower bout on his right thigh, so it's not the same as Paco's position, but his legs were clearly crossed in 1922, and that's the important part, IMO. Once your legs are crossed, it's just a matter of time (fatigue) before you're going to lower the neck and rest the guitar on your leg between the two bouts.

About alzapúas, Diego del Gastor and Sabicas recorded alzapúas a few years before Paco de Lucía. The recordings of Diego are from informal gatherings and are not accurately dated, but it's the same timeframe, give or take a few years. Sabicas didn't use the same thumbstroke pattern, but it's clearly related.

About "añadido," I've thought about his definition and checked out four or five of the references he offers but I still don't understand what he's talking about. If he means the silence between beats 10 and 12, he hasn't defined the term that way.

About Montoya he says:
Although at that time there was rhythmic reference (hand claps - palmas) while accompanying dance or singing, when playing alone, guitar players did not use hand claps to play over.
What's this statement based on? Montoya made most of those solo recordings in Paris, and may have been traveling with just his guitar (no palmeros). Regarding the rest of his analysis of Ramón Montoya, it should be pointed out that over 7,000 recordings of flamenco were made up until the advent of modern recording technology (microsurco). We still don't know exactly how many there are, but Montoya plays on at least 500 recordings. Nobody has all of these recordings and certainly nobody has analyzed them all. A huge amount of ideas can be traced back to Montoya, and nobody should rule him out too quickly as a possible source. This applies particularly to the comments about Sabicas:

0:18: Certainly it was an innovation the use of chromatic scales as a melody to describe the following chord progression: V7 to bIII7 (min 0:21).
0:51: The use of chains of b3rds, never used before Sabicas...
1:10: Use of the aux. dominant V/VI, the goes to VIm. Certainly an innovation, for Ramon Montoya never did something like this, nor anyone else.

Another of his comments: When the flamenco became widely known in the world in the first half of the last century (especially in United States) and became a good business, it was vital to keep a close secrecy about the essential principles of flamenco disguising it as “the mystery of the duende” in flamenco.
That's ****. Spanish writers were saying the same thing at the beginning of the 20th century. Just look at Lorca, and he wasn't the first.

I've also heard what Jason mentioned about David Serva and E-flat Phrygian. Adding to this, on several occasions I've seen David attribute his own ideas or those of others to Paco when asked. The point is that David admires Paco and has no problems crediting him for certain ideas (I suspect that in some cases the ideas really were David's, and that he was having a bit of fun), but in this case he clearly states that the E-flat thing is his.

Why hasn't Ruben posted anywhere on the Paco de Lucía site?

Edit: Just to keep this fair, if Ruben wants to respond to anything in my post, he can contact me through the e-mail address on my website, the URL of which is available through my forum profile.

Be here now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2009 3:12:08

Doitsujin

quote:

next to a comment on alzapúa, but he doesn't say that nobody plays alzapúa anymore.

He talks about nobody is using the simple alzapua anymore. Thats wrong. Read more carefully my son. ;.)

quote:

And the comment about a 450 degree angle is obviously because he used the zero symbol (0) instead of the degree symbol (º) and meant to say 45º angle.

There is a symbol (°) on any keyboard of the world.. he should use it. Its that simple. I also don4 us4 an e inse4ad of a t and not a 4 inst4ad of an e. You know what I mean? (No answer required)

Im not fighting Ruben. As I wrote his ideas are interesting, entertaining and not to be taken too serious.. As my comments are not meant too serious.. I like his playing and him because he offers a lot of material that is very useful.
Its not important to me if Rubens article is wrong or not.. Its just interesting to read and I comment a bit on it.
If Ruben wants to answer on any statements, he could provide a guestbook on his page.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2009 4:03:11

NormanKliman

quote:

There is a symbol (°) on any keyboard of the world.. he should use it. Its that simple.

No... If his mistake was that obvious, you should have given him the benefit of the doubt.

Be here now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2009 4:16:00

Pimientito

quote:

There is a symbol (°) on any keyboard of the world..

Err.... I have a spanish keyboard and that symbol isn't on it. It was clear at least to me that he meant 45 degrees though. There are much bigger points to pick up on than the spelling!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2009 5:42:58

ivan

This article is poorly written, researched, etc.. it is obviously written by someone who does not have a doctorate.. Maybe he has a doctorate from some online university, where you can get a Ph.D in a week!!!! i swear i am going to go to Toledo where Paco lives now and try to get a used pair of underwear from Paco and send then to Ruben.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2009 6:30:34
Page:   [1] 2 3 4    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2 3 4    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post