Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

The Cante accompaniment challenge!! Finally   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Challenges >>Previous Challenges >> Page: [1] 2 3 4 5    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Florian

The Cante accompaniment challenge!! ... 

This are the guys you have to thank for this great idea and oportunity..Félix de Lola and Jason McGuire

This is my thread so no talking on my tread either !!!...relax I am joking .... but serious il stab you

We got an excellent challenge coming and i wanna get it started here..until we have better ideas or suggestions you will forghive me while i take it upon myself to lay down some ideas of how i think it should run...but i am open to absoluteley any idea and views, i just wanna get it going, i dont have to have the final say...as long as the majority, Felix and Jason are ok with it .. keep in mind we wanna gett it off the ground as soon as possible so that Jason and Felix can begin doing their part..

This is the idea..

Jason will record Felix with just backing Cajon/palmas (track to be provided and confirmed) ...Jason and Felix let me know what you think...u can ofcourse change it however you like to suit whatever you like to do..

- The challengers will have to ..Accompany Felix on 2 letras of Solea por Bulerias
- Falsetas, intro , (not a requirement) but optional ...whatever you think will compliment what Felix sings ..fine . ( no sampled instruments or other instruments allowed, besides what is provided to you and your guitar)

Besides the obvious Prizes ..you also get 1 hour private lesson and help in accompanying with Felix via Skype...thats gold ..since its so hard to get alot of practice time with a singer..I know i would flipp out at the oportunity and know there are many others who unfortunateley live in a place of the world where you dont get much oportunity to practice with a singer but would love it...so this one is for you amigos take this oportunity

Deadline for submitting your entry is 7th of October

submit your entries to Ailisa flamencoguitarcourse@yahoo.co.uk

If you intend to enter please put your name down here...everyone and anyone is welcome

And also we will think of other prizes (Michelob and I..) that we can contribuite to the competition..the prizes will need to match the grandness of this challenge.. beeing able to host a challenge like this in the forum..it really has been something we have only been able to dream about in the past..i dont know if its ever been done in another guitar forum in the past

So please any ideas, input , excitment ..offers to sponsor and contribuite to the prizes is welcome..

stay tuned as the fine details of this are under construction and discussion but please feel free to be excited, and share your thoughts on how to best get the most out of this competition and oportunity..how to make it the biggest one yet

for judging I am thinking of a system that combines 2 systems..

It will be judged partialy by some expert judges..Obviously Felix, Jason, Sean, Norman..Ron, Kate anyone else ? .. in total about 8 to 10 judges who spend alot of time listening to cante ...now i dont know what everyone does and how much everyone knows and listens to cante.. so i am relying on you to tell me...of how confident you feel of this task....i am relying on members who we havent yet meet who are quite experienced at giving us the benefit of their wisdom by stepping foward and taKing on judging responsibilities..

but i am thinking we count the judges scores we establish as the jury twice..

AND in adition we also open it to public voting where everyone gets a vote, i say one vote because to be fair we dont know the level of experience of everyone that will vote and how that will affect the final score, and how fair it will turn out.. if anyone feels that they are well trained and experienced and should be part of the jury feel free to come foward and say so.....and likewise for members who we appoint to be part of the expert panel of the judges..if you feel that u dont want this responsibilitie feel free to say so..

So in the end we add up x2 the Established Jury Panel
and x1Public vote

what do you think sounds like a good way to get a good combination of public view and experienced judging ?..its too risky to leave it all to public vote..as none of us know what to expect...but i dont wanna exclude anyones views...i imagine the judges will be more then matched in numbers by public voters even with 2 votes..

Date and other finals details still coming..
I need to get it out of the way and just ask Ailsa and Michelob and anyone else that was planning a challenge if they are ok with this taking place as soon as posssible ? i am sure you guys agree its a golden oportunity for something different never before done here ....we can find a way for everything to get done here but i get really excited at the chance of having a cante accompanying challenge ...

THis is the track you will accompany
http://www.foroflamenco.com/upfiles/90/Wu61716.mp3

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 15 2009 20:29:12

Florian

RE: The Cante accompaniment challeng... (in reply to Florian

damn i didnt mean for the whole post to be in bold letters

btw !!!winnnner also gets state of the art technology !!

my old 68cm tv !!! sexy black..it has Incredible Sound !! its like Sorround sound only the sound dosent feel like its sorrounding you...its like you are really there..and its flat screen if you have a hole in the wall to stick the back of it in..

Disclaimer thats provided i cant get ride of it on ebay ..and you have to pay for transport or come pick it uphttp://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=110401962090

dont be fouled by the fact that theres no bids ..i have tousands of people watching it...everybody wants it..

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2009 0:03:35

JasonMcGuire

The winner gets a 1 HOUR private lesson Flo. Not 1 MONTH.

Don't get carried away now!

http://www.Flamenco-Lessons.com/
http://www.CaminosFlamencos.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Bikhiyal
http://flamenco-lessons.blogspot.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2009 0:15:09

Florian

RE: The Cante accompaniment challeng... (in reply to JasonMcGuire

lol thats was a mistake

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2009 0:40:59

Florian

http://rapidshare.com/files/245096662/Ritmo_de_Solea_por_Bulerias.mp3.html

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2009 1:04:06

duende

sounds good to me, where is the file of Felix singing?

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...
And don't make it a race.
Enjoy the ray of sunshine that comes with every new step in knowledge.

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2009 2:32:30

Florian

RE: The Cante accompaniment challeng... (in reply to duende

it hasent been recorded yet..it was just this morning this idea and the offer came about..so atm we deciding on a nice speed compas track..trying to get the ball running

feel free to have any kind of input...suggestions, ideas etc..

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2009 2:39:48

Stu

accompanying via SKYPE??? I dont have skype!

is it lag free??
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2009 3:00:30

Florian

RE: The Cante accompaniment challeng... (in reply to Stu

quote:

accompanying via SKYPE??? I dont have skype!

lol no man just like a regular challenge...with an audio..except the compas track will also have cante wich u have to accompany

the skype thing is if you win...u get 1 hour on private lesson on aaccompanying with Felix..i imagine skype is pretty good

get to ask questions ...practice, try out ideas i dont know i am sure Jason and Felix will explain it..

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2009 3:04:16

Munin

No software like that is lag-free I'm afraid, there'll always be a small delay no matter how good or fast the connection is. But I'm sure it will still be really helpful! Just don't expect too much in the way of recreating a live accompaniment situation, I think...

That being said, is this challenge only open to people who already have a clue about how to accompany cante to begin with, or will someone eventually post some guidelines for the clueless?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2009 3:41:13

Florian

RE: The Cante accompaniment challeng... (in reply to Munin

this is open to anyone that wishes to get better at accompanying or even take the first steps ..

i am sure there will be help on hand but the idea is that you also do alot of research yourself....listen to every solea por bulerias u get your hands on...find the common chords used, strumming, phrasing, play along side cds...whatever u can

if u learn how to reasearch this proprelly u can research anything, any palo..u are well on your way

as i said on the other tread...its not eazy beeing outside spain, u dont get the same oportunities if any to practice with a singer but that dosent mean there arent things one can do to be better prepared...take advantage of the stuff we have at our hands this days..recordings, videos, slowdown programs, internet with everything u ever wanted to know...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2009 3:50:57

John O.

YES!!!

One thing I really need to work on. This is great - I'm really looking forward to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2009 6:25:59

Florian

RE: The Cante accompaniment challeng... (in reply to John O.

me too amigo...i am very excited about it, i am in

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2009 6:54:44

kozz

Heee,
this is good energy!
This is really great people...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2009 8:06:42

JasonMcGuire

RE: The Cante accompaniment challeng... (in reply to kozz

When I give lessons via Skype, I record a video of myself from my end and email a download link after the lesson is over.

I don't know if Felix is into that idea but it works well for my students.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2009 8:39:23

Andy Culpepper

Yeah I'm in!
This should be really great.
These creative challenges like composing and accompanying are really what Flamenco is about IMO.

You might want to refine the rules a bit and just put the really important stuff in bold

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2009 8:45:01

Florian

RE: The Cante accompaniment challeng... (in reply to Andy Culpepper

quote:

You might want to refine the rules a bit and just put the really important stuff in bold

yeah its in the works...well i am waiting for some more people to discuss it, share some input ...and most of all show a bitt more enthusiasm..i am not gonna do this and be the only one that carries it as far as enthusiasm goes.

serious guys are you gonna waiste your time arguing with a wall the whole month until i lose interest or join and do this thing for us ? and help me organise it and build it up

the forum is slowly starting to look like other forums on the net and we not like other forums..we sopossed to be the best one..cause we acctualy do stuff..dont just talk

this what should be in everyones interest gets 3 replies since last night while that ridicoulos thread gets 30..

if this is a bad time, let me know and il close it and well all go and just argue back and foward with ruben

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2009 16:22:41

JasonMcGuire

Here is the track for the challenge. 2 letras with a salida out front and plenty of space for a falseta in between the 2 letras. The key is 2 por medio.

Felix is beginning to come down with the flu, so the performance isn't his best, but it will serve our purposes nicely.

Attachment

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2009 22:50:19

Florian

RE: THE VOICE TRACK U WILL NEED TO A... (in reply to JasonMcGuire

OLEEEEEEE!

this is gonna be pleasure..i am on my way to classes atm but when i get back we can all talk about the time..i dont wanna rush it..i think 1month and a half or 2 would be nice...give everyone time to try many diff things and reasearch the palo..

gracias Felix..beautiful

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2009 23:10:33

mrMagenta

Ole Felix!

Wow, I'm working on a solea with my girlfriend and it has the second one of the letras, but Felix does it sooo differently, super cool! She'll love this! Man this is so inspiring.

It would be great if someone would like to write the lyrics and the translation. I always like to know what I'm accompanying, but I'm not very good at spanish.

Ole to you all!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2009 2:14:38

Andy Culpepper

OLE!!!

That is beautiful. I can't wait to take a crack at this. I vote for 2 months....it'll be here before you know it.
I'm willing to kick in a few dollars for the prize if we're going to buy something.

Felix...muchas gracias and feel better amigo!

Andy Culpepper, luthier
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2009 5:22:24

gj Michelob

RE: The Cante accompaniment challeng... (in reply to JasonMcGuire

quote:

Here is the track for the challenge. 2 letras with a salida out front and plenty of space for a falseta in between the 2 letras. The key is 2 por medio.

Felix is beginning to come down with the flu, so the performance isn't his best, but it will serve our purposes nicely.
Attachment (1)

I am the one who admitted not to like Cante but.... this is spectacular!!! I loved it. It is independently so beautiful that our challenge will be not to ruin it with some intrusive falseta so to let the voice govern.

Jason, does "the key is 2 por medio" mean: this is a Solea por medio (=Amajor/Dminor) with Cejilla/Capo on the 2nd fret?

I think this could be my first challenge... i am so totally "in", amigos.

Thank you Florian, Jason and Felix. What a magnificent gift this is.

A Note to Kozz: please do not take a break from the Forum, Kozz. You are a cool guy, and we need you on this challenge. Arash apologized most warmly recognizing this Ruben affair has gotten all of us a bit nervous. Please stay and enjoy this new challenge with your friends on the foroflamenco.

Please....

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2009 5:46:16

Florian

RE: The Cante accompaniment challeng... (in reply to gj Michelob

maybe we should postone this for a week..until the crazynes dies down

its madness out there and I been waiting for a challenge like this too long to share with madness or feel like it has to compete for attention...
anyone who plans to do this can download the audio and start planning and practicing it

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2009 7:42:50

NormanKliman

Here's a transcription and translation of the verse. Both are examples of three-line eight-syllable verse, and as far as I know they're both so old that nobody knows who actually wrote them. You know, before Internet, video games, television and even radio, when all that people had was each other (maybe a deck of cards...) I might have some historical information on these letras, but I'll have to look for it and will add it to this post if I find anything.

So let's have a look at each one: how they're written, how they're sung in this case and a rough translation to English.

WRITTEN VERSE 1
Tú eres como los judios
aunque la ropa te quemen
no niegas de lo sufrido

SUNG VERSE 1
Judíos, judíos, judíos, judíos
tú eres como los judíos
que aunque la ropa te quemen
no niegas de lo sufrido
que aunque la ropa te quemen
compañerita del alma*
no niegas de lo sufrido

TRANSLATION 1
You're like the Jews
even if they burn your clothes
you won't deny your suffering

*This line isn't actually part of the written verse. It's one of a few exclamations that singers have been interjecting at will for 100 years or more. The literal translation would be "companion of my soul" or "soul-mate" , but for all practical purposes, it's like singing "Oh, baby, baby, baby" or something like that.

WRITTEN VERSE 2
Acuérdate cuando entonces
bajabas descalzita a abrirme
y ahora no me conoces

SUNG VERSE 2
Y acuérdate cuando entonces
y acuérdate cuando entonces ay
y ahora no me conoces
y ahora no me conoces

TRANSLATION 2
Remember back then
you used to come down barefoot to open the door for me
and now you don't know who I am

Remember, what Félix is doing here (and doing it well) is matching cantes with letras, so if you find other recordings of these letras, they might not be the same cantes. If you pay attention to his voice, you'll find opportunities for different chords.

quote:

I am the one who admitted not to like Cante but.... this is spectacular!!! I loved it. It is independently so beautiful that our challenge will be not to ruin it with some intrusive falseta so to let the voice govern.

I agree, GJ, although there's a risk of oversimplifying accompaniment, too. I like to think of it as being the straight man in a comic duo. While the other guy is telling the joke (or better yet, when he stops to breathe), you provide support and direction, and give him a solid platform to deliver the punchline. In that scenario, there would be a lot of things to say besides "Yeah? And then what happened?"

Be here now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2009 8:38:13

kozz

Just heard the track...
OLEEE! Felix
But also OLEE! to Norman. Really informational.

I wont backout GJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2009 8:57:41

Andy Culpepper

Norman, thanks for the translation, I was just about to ask. The words are very inspiring, except that part about the Jews lol really not sure what that means.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2009 9:19:48

Kate

RE: The Cante accompaniment challeng... (in reply to Andy Culpepper

quote:

ORIGINAL: deteresa1
. The words are very inspiring, except that part about the Jews lol really not sure what that means.

It is probably a reference to the enforced conversions of the Jewish people in Spain, though it could also be a reference to the holocaust which affect both Gypsy and Jewish people. Would be interesting to know more about these letras if you find any info Norman.

If you want me as a judge I'm in, along with my trusty sidekick Harold holding my hand.

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2009 9:39:04

NormanKliman

RE: The Cante accompaniment challeng... (in reply to Kate

It's just a traditional letra, with no malicious intent. I read that it was recorded 100 years ago and is often sung in Jerez-style bulerías. There's a lot to be said, but let's keep the thread on course. There are a lot of surprising letras like that, and sometimes Spanish might seem kind of scandalous, but it's not meant to be offensive.

Be here now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2009 10:21:39

duende

HEY!! I WANT TO COMPETE AS WELL!!

This is hard stuff!
Don't give up...
And don't make it a race.
Enjoy the ray of sunshine that comes with every new step in knowledge.

RON
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2009 10:44:36

Ron.M

RE: The Cante accompaniment challeng... (in reply to NormanKliman

Hi Norman,

I'm certainly not learned in these issues, but I thought (from what I've read) that after the Moors were expelled from Spain, that there was a generally Nationalistic sentiment prevalent and that the Gypsies and Jews and others were regarded as 2nd class citizens and lived mainly apart from the "normal" Spanish community.
So therefore they had a common experience they could relate to even though religiously and culturally they were different.

Maybe I'm totally wrong here.
I'm certainly no Flamencologist, but that was my general impression anyway.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2009 10:51:43
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Challenges >>Previous Challenges >> Page: [1] 2 3 4 5    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll