Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Intermediate Challenge???   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4 5    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

XXX

RE: Intermediate Challenge??? (in reply to Florian

Flo, why not both challenges?? I am SO in for the cante one! Thats for sure. But i think since cante accomp is basically depending on your experience with cante, since there are no real other resources to practice cante accomp, there is no "practice time" for it. So everybody who planned to do this challenge can do the cante one to. We just have to pay attention to the deads, that there are no crossings...

ps: SOLO COMPAS loops have been added.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2009 3:02:59

Florian

RE: Intermediate Challenge??? (in reply to XXX

sure u can do both

quote:

But i think since cante accomp is basically depending on your experience with cante, since there are no real other resources to practice cante accomp, there is no "practice time" for it.

well thats not entirely so, sure there isnt much oportunity to practice it depending where u are (thats exactly what this is)...theres plenty of things u can do to practice and make yourself more aware and get yourself more ready when u do get an oportunity to accompany...like conduct detailed research of the palo....listen to a million versions of it..yes living outside spain we dont have it eazy, dont get much experience with a singer but that dosent mean we should just accept it.....find ways around it

listen to a million ways of accompanying it...play alongside the cd..use whatever u can

the idea is not just the challenge and playing the right chords but the fact that we all research it so much getting ready for it that we all get better at understanding everything about accompanying solea por bulerias by the end of the challenge

not just the typical chords used but the different phrasing, different strumming and ritmical ways of accompanying it...and in the end all of our solos, rithm and even falsetas will be better for it

i tell you..i plan to disect every second and every strum i hear on a style i like...its just like transcribing a guitar solo only insted of notes we transcribe strumms

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2009 3:10:29

aleksi

We could have these two things going on in the same time. Its good that they are both solbuls.

From the first listening the falsetas sound difficult, but it will be a good challenge as this is also my first attemp to do solea por buleria. Now I cannot deside which one is better, ouch. I like them both. Lets choose something that doesnt have any picado in it
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2009 6:19:18

TGerman

I'll give this a try as well as it will be a real challenge for me as I have never tried solea por buleria. Deniz could you pm me with the files as well?

Todd
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2009 7:48:59

at_leo_87

i just listened to both of the solbols. i like pepe's more but they're both awesome and i wouldn't mind doing either of them. or a combination of both is a good idea.

about the accompaniment challenge, i think the two challenges will complement each other. contestants won't necessarily be distracted. i think it'll help us deepen our knowledge and appreciation for this palo.

now to get judges and more contestants. Flo, we'd be honored if you could be a judge for us.

i dont have any preference for judging method. so voice your opinions so we can decide on something. if not, let's just stick to what we know works.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2009 12:59:21

[Deleted] (in reply to XXX

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 16 2009 13:10:11

gabrielcito

I dig Pepe's a little more, but I'm also agreeable to either, or a combination of the two. Both will be a good stretch for me. And this will be my first solea por bulerias as well.

-G
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2009 7:05:14

ricecrackerphoto

i'm about to take off on a trip for a week, when is the deadline? i won't be practicing the solxbul but i'll be obsessing about it!

are we doing a three falseta mix of the two?

doug

http://www.ricecracker.net
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2009 8:20:01

alex_lord

Sorry for not chiming in earlier, but please count me in
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2009 8:36:39

aleksi

After listening the falsetas couple of times Im for Pepes stuff. Mix is also ok. Then when we have chosen what we want to play, could you Deniz give us the video also, that would help alot. Im such a lousy reader and Im used to watch from the model and in enquentro theres also the slowed down version.
Huh, now Im starting to realize how big this thing is for my level and I would suggest maybe is better to have 2months of practice time, its summer and everything. How does that sound?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2009 11:57:36

at_leo_87

two months is cool with me. i got a lot going on anyways.

i forgot to thank deniz for uploading all this stuff. that's really nice of him. and selfish of me to forget to thank him.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2009 12:29:30

XXX

My pleasure leo!

Aleksi, with the videos .... It takes time to cut the videos, to upload etc and i am very busy the next days. From this Monday until next one i wont have internet as i am vacant, so i would ask you for understanding that i cant check emails or messages. But you can share the link among each other any time thats no problem. I just dont want to put it here public as for obvious reasons.

At this point we should be able to pick one or two or more concrete falsetas. My suggestion was page 8 till end on the Habichuela one. Its basically (only) two (IMO nice) falsetas with much compas and ornaments. Two months is ok, but i dont know if i wont be on summer holidays from end of july till end of august. So i would prefer one month, but 2 is also ok, i can still try to upload something towards end of july.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2009 13:44:59

ToddK

RE: Intermediate Challenge??? (in reply to at_leo_87

Cool!! Looks like im a judge for this challenge, and the beginner challenge.

I feel like i want to help out with the prizes, but i dont have much to offer.

I would however, be willing to give 3 free one hour SKYPE lessons , though the winners need a webcam for this. SKYPE is free, and easy use. All you need is a decent webcam. 50 bucks usd.

Just putting it out there. Just want to offer anything i can.

Best of luck to all the challengers.
TK

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2009 14:56:36

JasonMcGuire

RE: Intermediate Challenge??? (in reply to ToddK

I hope the Cante Accompaniment Challenge doesn't conflict. Lets make sure that the deadlines are far enough apart to keep things manageable.

That is a great prize offering ToddK. Very generous.

J

http://www.Flamenco-Lessons.com/
http://www.CaminosFlamencos.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Bikhiyal
http://flamenco-lessons.blogspot.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2009 15:28:28

TGerman

Todd-

Thanks for the very generous offer, that's very kind of you. I'm sure to practice a lot harder now

Todd
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2009 17:43:22

ToddK

RE: Intermediate Challenge??? (in reply to TGerman

quote:

Todd-

Thanks for the very generous offer, that's very kind of you. I'm sure to practice a lot harder now

Todd

Your very welcome Todd

Todd

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2009 17:58:55

chapman_g

I am thinking of participating in this challenge. Could someone send me the link so I can decide if it something I can do?

Aleksi sent it to me so I have it now. Nobody else needs to send

Thanks,

Michael
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2009 18:38:40

aleksi

quote:

i forgot to thank deniz for uploading all this stuff. that's really nice of him. and selfish of me to forget to thank him.

I got a bad conscience from this, and for a good reason. I also forgot to thank you Deniz and was already rushing for more. Sorry about that. Im just exited about the challange and is too easy to start taking things as a selfsertainty, which they of cource are not. But Thank you for the link and no worries about the video mate.

The end of Pepes is good for me. I really am a lousy reader, and lazy, and I tried to find out from tabs that where exatly does it start, but no luck. The two last falsetas start about 3.35 on the piece, but how much compas would we play before?

One month for me is definetily too little time with this. I have to start from a scratch 'cause as I said this will be my first solbul and the basic compas patterns I know are 0. At least for shroomy and gabrielcito this is also their first one, so I suppose they share my view. (?)

ToddK; wow, thats a great prize man. Thank you for that and beeing in a judge. Good to have you onboard, I hope I would win this prize.

ps.Argh, this english language is killing me! Its too difficult. It takes thousands of years to compose these messages and the words are not really coming to my head. And the adjectives...for good I only have good! and for bad...not so good. Not really a spectrum of colours in use if you know what I mean.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2009 20:13:32

Ailsa

quote:

would however, be willing to give 3 free one hour SKYPE lessons

Todd, that is really generous!

http://www.flamencojourney.com
http://www.myspace.com/flamencojourney
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 17 2009 22:48:17

XXX

RE: Intermediate Challenge??? (in reply to aleksi

No problem aleksi, i will upload the slowed down video. It would be also more fair if everyone has the same material.
The section i mentioned starts at 2:16 on the mp3, or at the second line on page 8.
You can take the compas he plays before, or you can workout some compas for your own too.

quote:

Toddk

OMG!! 3 video lessons, that would be so cool. I would definitely buy a webcam for this!! Negative side is... i would also have to tidy up my room... or find an angle where you can only see a minimum of the mess hmmm, tidy up or find an angle, tidy up or find an angle...i cant decide ok maybe i should learn to play the falseta first

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 18 2009 0:37:45

Matic

I was first thinking of joining you guys as a contestant but then decided not to because of other challenges that are ahead of us I'd like to attend.
So Anthony asked me to be a judge which is the offer I can't refuse. It will be my pleasure to judge this challenge. I'll do my best.

Btw, admins, what about making a seperate Forum for our Challenges?

Matic

vengo de los san migueles
si no me caso este año que yo
me caso el año que viene
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 18 2009 1:26:37

at_leo_87

thank you Todd, that's really nice of you! that'll be something to work hard for!

so far the judges are:
Todd
Xirdneh_imij
GJ Michelob
Duende
Florian
Matic
Ron

awaiting a few more replies.

about the deadline, Florian and I talked about this and I think it'd be best if we make the deadline on the 24th of August. That's one week apart from both the Cante and Beginner's Challenge. What do you guys think?

It's a first time with solea por bulerias for a few of us here, including myself. I think it's fair to give it this amount of time. We can always do something longer to make it more challenging if need be.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 18 2009 1:28:20

mrMagenta

from page 8 to the end looks good.

I would also prefer a 2 month deadline. I'll be loosing a few weeks next month for holiday stuff.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 18 2009 1:42:46

Ailsa

quote:

best if we make the deadline on the 24th of August

Your admin is away from 24th to 28th August! Sorry guys, can you make it a day or two earlier?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 18 2009 1:44:02

gabrielcito

Thanks for the very generous offer, Todd.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 18 2009 6:24:14

beno

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jun. 18 2009 7:44:14
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 18 2009 7:38:20

beno

Hey guys! Please count me in as well! I like chicuelo and Pepe as well...the deadline is fine for me at any day at the end of August, and also agree with separating the challenges.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 18 2009 7:56:46

Ailsa

RE: Intermediate Challenge??? (in reply to beno

quote:

ORIGINAL: beno

Hey guys! Please count me in as well! I like chicuelo and Pepe as well...the deadline is fine for me at any day at the end of August, and also agree with separating the challenges.

beno that sounds to me like you are an intermediate. I have you down on the list for beginners too, but if you are really playing at intermediate level, it will be no challenge for you to play the beginners one. Because there may be prizes involved I think we should all only compete at the level we are really at. Otherwise Paco could enter the challenge too

Do you think I should take you out of the beginners' one? It doesn't mean you can't learn the piece and upload your version, just that if it's easy for you it's not a challenge!!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 18 2009 9:33:09

at_leo_87

How about we make the deadline August 22. Will that give enough after-challenge-time for the cante challengers to discuss/take their victory laps?

I've changed my first post to reflect the newest updates.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 18 2009 9:47:04

Ailsa

I think the schedule atm is something like this then:

Cante August 17

Intermediate ends August 22

Beginners August 31

Composition ???

Does seem a bit crowded I guess.....

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 18 2009 11:49:16