Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

[Deleted]   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

[Deleted] 

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2004 19:29:12

Escribano

RE: Bulerias remates in Jerez (in reply to Guest

Interesting and confusing, I like the story about the father of Richard Feynman (Feynman won a Nobel prize for Physics and is a particular hero of mine):

quote:

To know the name of a bird is not to understand it

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2004 19:42:33

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jul. 11 2004 12:33:08
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2004 19:47:38

Escribano

quote:

I have MP3s of a bunch of the Feymann lectures on physics if you are interested.

Cool, how can I get them? You have a FTP site?

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2004 8:32:45

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jul. 11 2004 12:33:32
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2004 14:04:30

Jamey

If it isn't too much trouble....I'd be interested too. Feynman is a hero of mine. One of his best displays of "gentle brilliance" was when he confounded the NASA spin doctors at the first shuttle disaster inquiry and simply put a piece of one of the 'O' rings in a glass of ice water and squished it with a clamp to explain to the masses what actually went wrong. He completely cut through the techno-babble.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2004 21:34:40

zata

quote:

However, I know another professional dancer from Jerez who insists that there are NO llamadas in bulerias, because the dancer never calls the singer in - it happens the other way around.

Nobody calls anybody in bulerías except in a classroom where a teacher is trying to give some framework to what looks like a bewildering morass. Forty years ago Mariquita Flores was teaching never to do a desplante while the singer is singing, but in real life that's the preferred place to do them, and Mariquita clearly knows this...but how can you tell people "just listen for the right place"?

As far as terminology, even one given person will use all the terms interchangeably...not as universally accepted labels to be found in glossaries, but as normal words, like "close out here", "do an ending there", "wrap it up", so just take them all as meaning the same thing, because they essentially do. There's little use for the terms outside of a classroom, since these are not things normally discussed at all.

There did used to be a llamada in bulerías, specifically for "calling" the singer to sing, or another dancer to come out...this was used in theatrical shows to make an orderly 'fin de fiesta'...but I haven't seen it in years.

Estela 'Zata'
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 10 2004 8:54:57
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote