Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

when pigs fly (or when their viruses do)   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

henrym3483

when pigs fly (or when their viruses do) 

well it seems the death toll in mexico has hit 101. and there's worries about an possible outbreak in scotland. and some experts are saying it has potential to become a pandemic...

me, im sticking with the lemsip and tai chi, because my gov had'nt the foresight to stock up on tamiflu or the other brand.

whats your thoughts

henry

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090427/tuk-swine-flu-certain-to-reach-britain-dba1618.html
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2009 5:30:40

at_leo_87

RE: when pigs fly (or when their vir... (in reply to henrym3483

i hope not eating pig helps decrease my chances.

what's lemsip?

i just came back from the gym. ironically, that's the most likely place where i'll catch something since all the cleaning staff got fired for selling steroids and the place is now a mess.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2009 5:46:10

Kate

Harold was just about to got to Mexico with Farruquito for a week of performances. He was so excited about it but I think they may well cancel now. Ah well Spain got her first case of swine fever reported today so maybe now we wont even have to travel to get it.

Am sure Lemsip will cure it, of course !! That along with TCP and Vicks vapour Rub should do the trick !

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2009 6:54:51

Pgh_flamenco

I heard schools are being closed and the Mexican government is suggesting people stay home for at least three days. It sounds like Mexico is coming to a stand still. Hopefully nothing will come of this, but we'll have a better idea a week from now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2009 8:45:20

Pgh_flamenco

So much for a voluntary quarantine in Mexico. I just heard on CNN that Mexico City was hit by an earthquake and now everyone is out in the streets.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2009 9:46:33

Doitsujin

OMG I hope we wont all mutate into such horrible zombies who are hunting down and eat humans... Who than in return, convert into these horrible zombies!

I saw a nice show of Ricky a British famous comedian. He talked about the first man who was infected with HIV. The infected was asked if he sliced monkey meat and cut himself... so that he got the virus.. OR. if he poked a chimpanzee in the ass.. He sweared he cut himself while cutting monkey meat.. hahaha... The story went on and became much funnier when the infected ran into the jungle to meet the chimpanzee whom he "didn't poke in the ass.. (of course man,..of course..) And so on....
I wonder how the first Mexican got the pig-virus... Because he inhaled a pig-cough or ..... .. ?.. Noooooo.. he didn't ..no..tststs
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2009 11:50:37

John O.

RE: when pigs fly (or when their vir... (in reply to Doitsujin

Doitsujin I don't know how many of us want to discuss bunning chimps... I did see the bit and it was funny though.

The bird virus, mad cow disease blablabla...

All of the European illnesses have to be checked. Officially according to the WHO there are 26 cases and 7 deaths. The media turned it into 1600 cases and 150 deaths.

They were transporting the virus on a PUBLIC TRAIN going to Genf, the ice was packed wrong and the vials EXPLODED. After checking the passengers for an hour they were all let go. They wouldn't do that with Ebola now, would they???

The WHO does not believe it's necessary to close Mexican borders, people can come and go as they please. The WHO doesn't suggest making a new vaccine, they rather suggest over-the-counter Tamiflu® flu capsules.

I'm not big on conspiracies but it all seems very weird to me I'll start getting scared when people here start kicking the bucket. Of course by then it will be too late

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 28 2009 4:34:47

Ron.M

quote:

I wonder how the first Mexican got the pig-virus... Because he inhaled a pig-cough or ..... .. ?..

Maybe some joker put pig crap in the soundhole of his guitar?

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 28 2009 5:52:09

Pimientito

RE: when pigs fly (or when their vir... (in reply to John O.

quote:

I'm not big on conspiracies but it all seems very weird to me

I hear you John. There does seem to be a tendancy for the media to create unnecessary panic these days. Dont forget that many people die of the Flu every year anyway regardless of which strain. After cancer and coronary disease it is one of the most common causes of death in the elderly or immunosupressed. The last flu pandemic killed 50 million worldwide (roughly 1 percent of the population). Bear in mind that 56 million people die each year anyway at a steady rate of 153 000 deaths per day and it puts it into perspective.
An outbreak of ebola or a weaponised botulism pandemic is far a more scary prospect with a roughly 96 percent mortality of the human population

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 28 2009 5:52:49

val

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Nov. 8 2010 13:12:51
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 28 2009 5:56:30

Ron.M

There was a radio programme on last night about flu pandemics and the advice given to the British population during the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic was:

1. Be of a stout heart. Do not assume you are going to get ill.
2. Have a hot bath on returning from work.
3. Drink half a bottle of wine, or a glass of port with your dinner.
4. Smoke, in moderation.

OK, we laugh at it now, but only 40 years ago the official advice given to the population in the event of an imminent Soviet nuclear strike was:

1. Draw the curtains on all windows.
2. Remove any sharp objects from your pockets and crawl under a strong table.
3. Shield your eyes with a hanky or a newspaper.

I wonder in 90 years time what folk will think of the official advice being handed down to us now?

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 29 2009 2:31:09

Pgh_flamenco

RE: when pigs fly (or when their vir... (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

OK, we laugh at it now, but only 40 years ago the official advice given to the population in the event of an imminent Soviet nuclear strike was:

1. Draw the curtains on all windows.
2. Remove any sharp objects from your pockets and crawl under a strong table.
3. Shield your eyes with a hanky or a newspaper.

I wonder in 90 years time what folk will think of the official advice being handed down to us now?

cheers,

Ron

One of my high school teachers told the entire class to crouch down under our desks, put our heads between our legs and kiss our asses goodbye.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 29 2009 6:25:03

Pgh_flamenco

Patient Zero!

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 29 2009 11:56:18

Florian

RE: when pigs fly (or when their vir... (in reply to Pgh_flamenco

serious is it bad to eat pig atm ? i just had pig last night.. i really got to turn on the news sometimes..

just that it gets a litlle depresing sometimes ..always the same conflicts the same things.. and 3 quaters of it is all **** speculation and headlines ..

u cant exactly turn on the news..and get." Actually ...nothing new happened today in Adelaide ...the weather might be nice tomarow..we have no idea we just guesing too...see you tomarow at 6 "

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 29 2009 22:57:40

John O.

RE: when pigs fly (or when their vir... (in reply to Florian

People are tired of the financial crisis and this is exactly that bullsh@t news, I'm afraid...

The big numbers in Mexico are normal for countries with insufficient health care and higher population density. This swine flu is actually just as dangerous as any normal flu virus that kills 250000 to 500000 people every year (making the 7 documented swine flu deaths a bit rediculous). None of the cases outside of Mexico are critical.

We've been in pandemic alert phase three for years, between 2005 and 2009 12 cases of swine flu have already been found, none of the patients died. The phase only says how far spread it is, not how dangerous. Athlete's foot has alert phase six

No borders will be closed, no vaccine will be made, however much money will be made on over-the-counter anti-flu medicine.

Eating pork is totally safe, especially if cooked over 70°C.

Sometimes it's better to keep the TV off

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 29 2009 23:50:28

Pgh_flamenco

quote:

serious is it bad to eat pig atm ?

Pork is safe to eat--just don't lick any pig snouts like the little kid in the picture.

I hope this "epidemic" fizzles, but the World Health Organization is taking it very seriously.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 30 2009 7:37:46

Florian

quote:

We've been in pandemic alert phase three for years, between 2005 and 2009 12 cases of swine flu have already been found, none of the patients died. The phase only says how far spread it is, not how dangerous. Athlete's foot has alert phase six

u have to wonder sometimes ..i saw on the tv that the antiflue medicine completeley sold out around pharmacies in Australia...i was thinking to myself...no matter how bad a situation theres always someone benefitting from it, il start to really take it seriously when they start handing out the flue tablets for free...think about it..if this was a serious problem they would be..

theres finanical problems atm and the Australian gov are handing out money for free

but either way i am protected because i was in Romania during the Cernobil disaster..i am covered they came to our schools and work and gave us a panadol each to protect us from the radiation ...must have been some good stuff cause i almost never ever get sick

"here.. take this and shut up...youl be fine "

quote:

Pork is safe to eat--just don't lick any pig snouts like the little kid in the picture.

oh good cause i had it at my moms house again tonight.....she just cant resist a bargain she says...its really really cheap atm

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 30 2009 7:46:13

Florian

quote:

People are tired of the financial crisis and this is exactly that bullsh@t news, I'm afraid...

ever thought the 2 are linked ...this might be someones brilliant plan of fixing the world financial problem ...few less to feed

sorry i make light, i am not loughing at the poor people affected obviously, i am loughing at the media machine feeding the peoples paranoia...when you think about it Paranoia is medias no 1 product to sell, always has been, we are always scared of some country, or some race or some people or some desease , everyone and everything is out to get us

also last time i remember flue tablets dont prevent the flue..u take it when u have a flue and it makes it go away a litlle faster....dosent it > remind me ..as i said i havent been sick in ages cause of the Cernobil panadol

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 30 2009 8:10:29

Ron.M

quote:

as i said i havent been sick in ages cause of the Cernobil panadol

I think drinking half a bottle of wine and smoking in moderation is good advice for ANY situation actually....

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 30 2009 9:05:22

andresito

Interesting point(s) in an Australian newspaper -

"...The disparity between the impacts of threats and the panic they cause is remarkable. Even globally, with the exception of terrorism or, rather, the conflicts it has triggered, the tolls are strikingly small by comparison to the threats that are most likely to kill us.

SARS killed 9.6 per cent of those infected, but the threat that paralysed the world killed no more than 774 people, most of them in China, where authorities were slow to react. Then came bird flu, which since 2003 has caused 421 confirmed human cases with 257 deaths. Again, limited infectiousness meant the deaths were confined to a few countries. Now swine flu is thought to have killed 159 people out of a suspected 2498 cases in Mexico, although the World Health Organisation yesterday cautioned that only seven deaths and 79 cases were confirmed.

Mexico is a country of great inequality, with high rates of malnutrition and diabetes in a crowded population, making its people highly vulnerable. In the neighbouring US, which has 64 confirmed cases and hundreds suspected, no one has died yet. One cannot discount the risk of a pandemic, and people's fear of the unknown is powerful."

Source: http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/fears-distorting-reality-20090429-ancz.html

¡este arbol tiene duende, cabron!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 1 2009 2:27:23

XXX

Im not versed in biology, but as how i understand it, the reason for the excitement is not that the virus KILLED many people, but more that it has the POTENTIAL to kill much more people like any other influenza or whatever virus, because it can jump from birds, pigs AND humans. Thats just the knowledge i got from tv.

And about pig eating, ok i understand that if you cook it, the virus dies. But what is when you touch infected pig meat? I dont think they do virus tests in a slaughtery, do they?

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 1 2009 3:03:09

val

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Nov. 8 2010 13:12:05
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 1 2009 3:30:53

John O.

RE: when pigs fly (or when their vir... (in reply to val

THIS JUST IN!

The first official person to person infection happened in Germany in a hospital. Both people are okay, but not before suffering horrible FEVER, STUFFY NOSE AND A TUMMY ACHE! Sources say they couldn't even get out of bed for a couple of days

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 1 2009 8:16:33

Ron.M

All this talk of swine flu etc must have contaminated my brain, for today in the butcher's I suddenly had a notion for Pork Spare Ribs, which I haven't had for a while, so I bought some.

That got me thinking about this pork/pig/swine issue and I made myself laugh out loud at the thought of asking for "swine ribs".

Words seem to be very important in cuisine.

It doesn't quite sound the same asking for "sweet and sour swine" at your local Chinese take-away, does it?

Or "swine chops" or "swine sausages".

The other one that gets me is "Pan Fried Pork", which would now be "Pan Fried Swine".

I must admit, I really hate this term "Pan Fried", favoured by restaurants and the TV chefs.

What the hell else are you gonna fry the thing in?

An effing TEAPOT, for Christ's sake??

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 1 2009 10:36:16

Doitsujin

If someone want to go a bit further into details.. check here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genomes/FLU/SwineFlu.html

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 1 2009 11:37:58

John O.

RE: when pigs fly (or when their vir... (in reply to Ron.M

Swine medaillons is one of my favorite dishes!

Doit, what's your take on the whole scare? You study this stuff, right?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 2 2009 0:24:05

Ron.M

quote:

Swine medaillons is one of my favorite dishes!

John,

Then I guess my thoughts would not sound funny outside English.

I just looked up "pork" in an English/German dictionary and see that the word is "schweinefleisch" or just "schwein".

I should have guessed that!!

One of the characteristics I like about the German language is the lack of bullsh*t and euphemisms that we tend to have here.

It's always just direct, in your face stuff!

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 2 2009 1:40:50

Pimientito

RE: when pigs fly (or when their vir... (in reply to andresito

quote:

Mexico is a country of great inequality, with high rates of malnutrition and diabetes in a crowded population, making its people highly vulnerable. In the neighbouring US, which has 64 confirmed cases and hundreds suspected, no one has died yet.

It is scary a scary prospect that a virus could mutate and wipe most of us out but I'm sure it wont be influenza. Influenza kills imunospressed and elderly patients so its not surprising that mortality would be higher in a mexican ghetto than in the United States.

36,000 people die of influenza every year in the United states alone and this does not make the news. This is an average number so anything below 50,000 flu related deaths is completely normal. Also the virus mutates every couple of years so actually every outbreak is a "new strain " of flu. Flu does jump from species to species and animal flus can be caught by humans. Your dog can also catch your cold. This is hardly newsworthy information. Its not a new phenomena and has been happening for as long as people have been around. The virus also mutates back to less aggressive forms spontanously which is why most potential pandemics inexplicably die out.

The media has blown this up out of all proportion. If there were 100,000 reported deaths so far I would start to get more worried but until then eat I suggest eating lots of fruit and veg, sleep at least 7 hours a night, Wash your hands regularly, stay at home if you feel sick, get a flu vaccination if you are elderly or have a chronic respiritory problem and follow Rons rigid drinking regime.

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 2 2009 4:00:25

Doitsujin

quote:

Doit, what's your take on the whole scare? You study this stuff, right?

Well,..I'm not specialized in virology... but something I can tell you for sure. Don´t trust the newspapers and TV-news. There are mostly working idiots who are experts in preparing coffee and inventing stories, but they have no knowledge about science at all.... When I watch news or movies..more than 90% of the "science-work" which is shown there and talked about is ****. So, just don't trust them..

IMO you can protect yourself against any flu. Wear a mask as you maybe saw in reports about japan... And no,..they don't wear these masks because the air in the city is so dirty. They wear it when they are ill, to protect the other people from their own e.g.flu. IMO, thats a good thing. You could also wear such masks when the swine flu spreads more.....
Here in my country these dumb idiots cough you in the face when you are sitting next to them in the train.
You can protect yourself with eating vegetables, sleeping enough, don't get cold after sweating and so on.... And if there is the first sunbeam in the year (also if it is still 10 degrees... they all run around in shorts and T-shirts....WTF? Blame on these idiots. Well,.. you can also easily protect yourself against HIV. But there are too many dumb people in the world.... as we know... it doesn't really work for people with an average IQ as the stats say.

So, you can prepare yourself against the flu (the swine flu is a bit special..but still a flu). Its on you to do that. And if you go to areas where infected people have been spotted,..and you know that...(e.g. doing holyday in mexico and ignoring the flu) than I hope you die due to the flu. This stupidness have to be punished IMO.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 2 2009 4:19:41

Florian

quote:

Here in my country these dumb idiots cough you in the face when you are sitting next to them in the train

And if you go to areas where infected people have been spotted,..and you know that...(e.g. doing holyday in mexico and ignoring the flu) than I hope you die due to the flu. This stupidness have to be punished IMO.

YEAHHHHHHH !! me too ! i hope you die a horrible and painful death you infidel swine eating ...... .swine/s if theres more of you

infact ! everyone that goes on holidays should die !!(we are in recesion and pple are dying and u go on a holiday..who do you think you are ) ......

everyone that goes on holiday and eats pig should die twice !.......everyone that goes on holidays, eats pig, dosent wash their hands and coughs and dosent cover their mouth should be resurrected long enough to be killed again

IMO

quote:

Well,.. you can also easily protect yourself against HIV. But there are too many dumb people in the world.... as we know... it doesn't really work for people with an average IQ as the stats say

yeah i know...stupids ...thats by eating lots of garlic and not sharing your siringe with monkies right ?

sorry i am going though one of those silly sense of houmor times where u know what the right thing to say is but the wrong thing is so much funnyer...been going though those alot lately

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 2 2009 7:11:18
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post