Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Side fret Markers   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

HolyEvil

Side fret Markers 

Hi there, just checking, with your flamenco guitar, are there side fret dot markers.

if there are, which frets are marked?

cheers
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2009 21:33:04

Mike_Kinny

RE: Side fret Markers (in reply to HolyEvil

Those are not used on flamenco guitars because capo is used frequently.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2009 21:50:24

krichards

quote:

which frets are marked?

I add small stickers on the 5th and 7th (nothing permanent). When using a capo you have to do a little mental arithmetic but it works for me.

Kevin Richards

http://www.facebook.com/#!/kevin.richards.1048554
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2009 22:56:24

Stephen Eden

ive only ever used a mark on 7 from there every where else is easy.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2009 0:15:04

at_leo_87

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2009 1:03:15

at_leo_87

i think fret markers are typically on lower end student models, to help beginners learn their way around the fretboard.

classical guitarists are too busy sight reading to look down at the fretboard and flamencos are too busy squinting and scrunching their faces into strong displays of emotion plus checking out the bailoras.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2009 1:06:17

HolyEvil

RE: Side fret Markers (in reply to Stephen Eden

quote:

ORIGINAL: SEden

ive only ever used a mark on 7 from there every where else is easy.

why would a mark on 7 be better than a mark on 5 or 9?
I've read on a classical forum that if there's only one dot they would prefer it on the 7th. but I just can't understand why..
would you be able to enlighten me?

cheers
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2009 4:14:49

Ramón

I play for dancers and singers in a show on a somewhat dark stage, and I use a dab' of White Out on the 5th and 7th, based on capo on the 4th for mostly the whole show (solea, I slide up to 6th, but the previous 5th & 7th dots now give me a 3rd and 5th mark. If I have to change for a guest singer or whatever, I can simply rub them off, make new ones, or just use them as a reference from where I am.

I use them because I'm caught between watching a cantaor and a dancer (or several), and then trying to quickly acquire the 6th position for the start of a falseta or something. It helps.

And I'm just not that good, so I'll take any help where I can get it!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2009 5:43:05

Aadi

Good classical players can find a position without looking, but some find the mark at 7 useful anyway because they can't help but hesitate before making a large shift. There's usually only one mark because no more are necessary; you automatically know where 1-4 and 12 are without having to guess, and 5 is so close to 4 that it doesn't need a mark. The nebulous Mystery Zone is 6-11. One marked fret there eliminates the possibility of disorientation and the instant of hesitation that can ruin a chord grab. Also, 7 is the fifth of the open string, so it makes musical sense to put it there instead of, say, 6 (ohno tritone!!) or 8. I prefer classicals to be marked but haven't decided the fate of my blanca.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2009 7:34:58

Pgh_flamenco

My first good classical had a marker for the seventh fret and after practicing with it for a year I came to realize how useful it was. It makes it really easy to find your place on the fret board. Two side markers can cause some confusion, but I never had to think twice about the seventh fret marker. I wish my flamenco had one. Even with a capo one marker can still be useful.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2009 10:20:15

kovachian

My guitar has no markers and I get by just fine without them. Obviously, your mileage may vary.

Don't look at me in that tone of voice.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2009 11:07:53

XXX

Even if i would like to and had a guitar with markers, i couldnt use them because i play lefthanded and on a normal guitar they would be on the wrong side of the neck!
But i think it would harm me and confuse me more instead of doing good, because i never learned to play with markers (i never had any).

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2009 11:27:15

XXX

Sorry this has nothing to do with the thread, but i have to write it down now, or i will forget it...

why is the personal pronoun "I" written in capital letters, but the others like "you, he, she, it" is all small letters???

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2009 11:32:23

at_leo_87

RE: Side fret Markers (in reply to XXX

quote:

why is the personal pronoun "I" written in capital letters, but the others like "you, he, she, it" is all small letters???

maybe because english speakers are conceited? lol just kidding. i don't know. i never really thought about that.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2009 12:40:55

JasonM

RE: Side fret Markers (in reply to at_leo_87

Searching the foro to see what others thought about fretmarkers. Never liked them but I have a guitar that has an unintended mark at the 7th fret (it’s actually a filled pore) and I’ve become absolutely dependent on this mark of the devil now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2019 16:14:18

gerundino63

I had a marker on the 7th for years.
With my new guitar form Anders Eliasson it was time for me to get rid of the habit of having a marker.

It took me about 3 months to get used to it.

The next thing happened: if you cannot rely on a marker you start relying on where you are with your fingers before you get to the higher positions.

F.i. If you have a C short on the 1st position, your 3th finger is 5th string 3th position.from there it is two frets to the 5th position in a barre A chrord.

So you relearn yourself this kind of movements and use the position you where before as an anchor.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2019 18:01:21

Escribano

RE: Side fret Markers (in reply to gerundino63

They will get screwed up with a cejilla. I still use them on an electric (which is a bit odd) but then there is no cejilla.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2019 18:55:22

constructordeguitarras

quote:

That is a really good question.

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
www.facebook.com/ethandeutschguitars
www.youtube.com/marioamayaflamenco
I always have flamenco guitars available for sale.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2019 1:26:20

Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: XXX

Sorry this has nothing to do with the thread, but i have to write it down now, or i will forget it...

I do it because my first grade teacher told us that is how it is done. It wasn't until second grade that I began to question authority. It wasn't until third grade that I began to defy it. By then the capital "I" was an ingrained habit.

If you go back in time you will find a lot more capitalization in printed English. In 16th century English there is about as much capitalization as in mid-20th century German. Most of it has gone out of style, but for some reason "I" remains upper case.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2019 2:43:02

Richard Jernigan

RE: Side fret Markers (in reply to Richard Jernigan

I started on the guitar playing flamenco. After quite a few years I started playing classical music, on a classical guitar. For years I played on the classical guitar with no fret markers. Then I bought the best classical I have now. It has fret markers on it.

I learned a new piece on the new classical. When I went back to the previous guitar and played the new piece, I found myself looking for the damned fret markers. Now two more classicals have fret markers on them. The original still has none.

None of my flamencas have fret markers. I regularly play flamenco without capo, or with capo on 2 or 3. I don't miss the fret markers playing flamenco.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2019 2:50:21

JasonM

RE: Side fret Markers (in reply to Richard Jernigan

With just a 7th fret marker, Using a capo hasn’t been an issue like I thought it would be.

According to dictionary .com:
How did we start capitalizing I?
It turns out that this unusual convention was a bit of an accident. In Old and Middle English, the word for I was closer to its German cousin, ich, and it was often spelled ic. At this point, the word was not capitalized. However, the pronunciation changed over time and so did the spelling, losing the consonant C.

At first, the new word, i, was left lowercase. By the time Chaucer wrote The Canterbury Tales in the late 1300s, I, the personal pronoun, was slightly taller than its lowercase equivalent. From that point on, it was typically capitalized.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2019 14:02:45

rombsix

RE: Side fret Markers (in reply to at_leo_87

quote:

flamencos are too busy squinting and scrunching their faces into strong displays of emotion plus checking out the bailoras.

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2019 15:44:37

jalalkun

soooo...I'll never be a pro because I have a fret dot marker on the 5th and 7th? :'(

My name is Jalal.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 11 2019 13:19:52

JasonM

RE: Side fret Markers (in reply to jalalkun

But if you prove us wrong everyone will want to have fret markers like Jalal
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 11 2019 14:51:48

JasonM

RE: Side fret Markers (in reply to JasonM

I just noticed Paco's guitar has a marker on the 7th fret. Almost looks like he put some white paint there rather than inlay. Screenshot from Zyryab video

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 23 2019 18:09:10

David LaPlante

You would be surprised at how many professional players want (and need) fret markers. More than do not in my experience. Not always 3,5,7,9,12,15,17 but sometimes just at 7 and 9.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 28 2019 15:44:09

rob2966

When I had my custom Culpepper made I had him add a simple side dot at the 7th fret, that provides all the reference I need and is extremely subtle. On a previous guitar with no markers I put a small "white out" side dot at the 7th as well and I found (for me) it helped a lot.

Later
Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2019 21:41:37

joselito_fletan

RE: Side fret Markers (in reply to JasonM

quote:

According to dictionary .com:
How did we start capitalizing I?
It turns out that this unusual convention was a bit of an accident. In Old and Middle English, the word for I was closer to its German cousin, ich, and it was often spelled ic. At this point, the word was not capitalized. However, the pronunciation changed over time and so did the spelling, losing the consonant C.

At first, the new word, i, was left lowercase. By the time Chaucer wrote The Canterbury Tales in the late 1300s, I, the personal pronoun, was slightly taller than its lowercase equivalent. From that point on, it was typically capitalized.

You can pull that thread even more and arrive here ....

Taken from "A Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities" John Murray 1875.
Keywords being capitis diminutio, regarding the relationship between Patronus and Libertus.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (2)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2019 23:18:42

Armando

RE: Side fret Markers (in reply to krichards

Traditionally no side dots are used on neither classical nor flamenco guitars. However i find them to be useful and not everybody is a professional player. I don't actually see a reason why steel stringed guitars have them and nylons don't.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2019 12:08:23

JasonM

RE: Side fret Markers (in reply to Armando

I inlayed a fret marker at the 7th fret, and I like having it. But when I put a capo on the 1st fret I forget to compensate. But only the first time I hit the wrong fret, then I can mentally shift the marker no problem.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2019 0:06:01
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post