Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Go Susan Boyle!   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Escribano

Go Susan Boyle! 

This . A tough song to do justice.

The internet at its best after so much 15 min. reality blah. This story is going to run and run and it's cheering me up immensely.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2009 13:58:25

Pgh_flamenco

RE: Go Susan Boyle! (in reply to Escribano

It is fun isn't it! Never judge a book by its cover.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2009 14:37:08

Ron.M

quote:

This woman can sing. A tough song to do justice.

Yeah, just brilliant.

She has a lovely "1940's" quality to her voice too.

Just great these days to hear a proper song sung properly.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2009 1:39:44

Kate

Simon, sorry mate but that link you posted is not actually Susan Boyle. ( EDIT: ok I was wrong, Harold says it is her - I prefer her voice here to what she sang on the TV show)

I find all this fuss over nothing in rather bad taste. Yeah she has a voice, but really its histrionic and operatic and sounds like an old gramaphone record. If a young 20 something, slim, blonde, big eyes and boobs had got up and sang like that she would have been ridiculed.

And why is everyone so surprised ? Its depressing that the general public thinks a middle aged, overweight, dowdy virgin shouldnt be able to sing. I guess none of them ever went to church or took piano lessons.

Anyways I wait for the Susan Boyle make-over with horrified fascination, and a few singing lessons would not go amiss either.

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2009 3:11:37

Pgh_flamenco

RE: Go Susan Boyle! (in reply to Kate

quote:

I find all this fuss over nothing in rather bad taste. Yeah she has a voice, but really its histrionic and operatic and sounds like an old gramaphone record.

Do you really have to begrudge her for her success? It seems only fair that a television audience on one of the most superficial shows on TV would have their pretenses thrown back in their faces.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2009 7:44:56

Ron.M

RE: Go Susan Boyle! (in reply to Pgh_flamenco

Actually I had been listening to Joni Mitchell for about a year before I ever saw a picture of her.
I was quite surprised!

The voice and the picture just didn't match with my mental image of her at all.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2009 8:34:10

Kate

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pgh_flamenco
Do you really have to begrudge her for her success?

I dont begrudge her success at all. Good luck to her. I simply find the mass hysteria over her looks and her voice just way over the top. Wow ugly woman can sing ! It is simply ridiculous.

Watching the judges feign total shock, horror, amazement was nauseous, it was such a set-up, of course they already knew how she would sound, they had heard her before.

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2009 9:54:41

Pgh_flamenco

quote:

I dont begrudge her success at all. Good luck to her. I simply find the mass hysteria over her looks and her voice just way over the top. Wow ugly woman can sing ! It is simply ridiculous.

Watching the judges feign total shock, horror, amazement was nauseous, it was such a set-up, of course they already knew how she would sound, they had heard her before.

It just doesn't seem to be an occasion for cynicism--at least to me.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2009 12:49:25

farteindj

It's like when Kurt Nilsen, winner of the first Norwegian Idol in 2004, later took part in the Word Idol contest, and won it with this performance:

One of the judges said something like: "You're a problem for the marketing guys, 'cause you sing like an angel, but you look like a hobbit."

Now I just heard his recording of "Lost Highway" as a duet with Willie Nelson. Pretty great singing there, no matter if he looks like a normal person.

Farus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2009 14:29:39

at_leo_87

quote:

If a young 20 something, slim, blonde, big eyes and boobs had got up and sang like that she would have been ridiculed.

i dont know about that! i think the opposite. people would be like,
"wow! a scarlet johansen that can sing!"
"wow! it's like a calmer version of christina aguilera!"

you got to figure that this happens all the time. tons of talented people get rejected because their image is not "marketable."

reminds me of that chinese pianist, lang lang. he gets criticized not about his playing abilities, but rather because he looks goofy sometimes when he plays.

people listen to music with their eyes more than their ears.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2009 16:25:49

John O.

quote:

Hey, finally somebody who agrees with me on this! FAKE! Paul Potts singing Nessun Dorma was so successful, they had to give the same scenario another run-through.

Look at this woman's hand-movements, eye contact etc. It's not absolutely top-notch, but it's stage experience, you don't get that singing alone at home while you're ironing. You can see unexperienced boy bands on MTV doing it very badly all the time.

There are millions of euros behind these shows, and they're not gonna let anybody up there unless they're marketable for the show, cell-phone jingles, a one-hit-wonder... And in these talent shows it's not good enough to just have a good singer. An embarrassing, horrible singer can have more success than a good singer if marketed correctly. A scandal is a good seller, too. I see people at the Irish Pub on karaoke night who sing better than some of these finalists.

That said, she is a great singer, and deserves all the success that comes to her - get it any way you can, I say. But Les Miserables is played all over the world and there are many people, old, young, beautiful, ugly, who sing it every night on stage and will never be on TV.

Yup, John is wearing his cranky pants today

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2009 23:46:27

DavidT

Kate,

Thank you for enlightenining me with your thought. I too got pulled in the TV sensation...
It's healthy for me not lettting the emotion dominate my thinking.

Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2009 10:58:46

John O.

RE: Go Susan Boyle! (in reply to DavidT

Hey David, fellow Seattlite!

I lived on Bainbridge Island till age 12 then moved over to Queen Anne. Lived a year in Wedgewood too before moving to Germany.

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2009 0:21:45

Kate

quote:

Really ? We are talking about a TV talent show. Seems the perfect occasion for cynicism to me, but then after 35 years in the entertainment/music business I am definitely jaded

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2009 4:42:45

DavidT

RE: Go Susan Boyle! (in reply to John O.

Hey John man,

Nice to hear from you. I've been in the Seattle area for 31 yrs. My house looks over the Puget sound and the view of Vashon Island. The Bainbridge Island is just north of it and can bee seen clearly from the Alki beach. It's absolute a nice area.
Hope things go well for you in Germany

Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2009 10:26:23

Mark2

Really? Based on the expression of the male judge(not Simon) I thought he was hearing her for the first time. I'm pretty cynical myself, but I thought it was true emotion, but if not, he's an excellent actor. Regardless, I was very moved by the vid. As my wife put it, she is "Rocky" People love an underdog, and that lady is surely that.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kate
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2009 11:06:04

Pgh_flamenco

quote:

quote:

Really ? We are talking about a TV talent show. Seems the perfect occasion for cynicism to me, but then after 35 years in the entertainment/music business I am definitely jaded

Hmmmm...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2009 11:27:14

XXX

It doesnt need to be fake, its just marketing. The same thing with Paul Potts. The message is: Ugly person sings (well), too. Wow, who would have thought that... btw, talk about cynicsm here, because the content of what is being marketed is just that.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2009 11:45:21

Ron.M

RE: Go Susan Boyle! (in reply to Mark2

quote:

I thought he was hearing her for the first time.

I kind of thought that myself.

I very much doubt that the "celebrity" judging panel are there at the rehearsals, though the show production assistants, technicians and organisers obviously are.

Anyway, for a "live" recording, I'd expect the TV company would want to keep a certain spontanaity about the programme.

Although she is quite a confident person, I don't think she's any kind of oddball.

She only said that her ambition in life was just to be a professional singer.

Personally, I'm very happy for her.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2009 12:13:24

mrMagenta

I'm very happy for her as well, she IS a good singer. I hope that she'll cope well with the hysterical attention she must be getting now. I'm looking forward to the next youtube clip.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2009 14:40:08

andresito

RE: Go Susan Boyle! (in reply to John O.

quote:

ORIGINAL: John O.
quote:

Hey, finally somebody who agrees with me on this! FAKE! Paul Potts singing Nessun Dorma was so successful, they had to give the same scenario another run-through.

I agree too, Kate and John: even if the judges really hadn't heard her audition, the writers/producers had, and knew what was going to happen. Any publicity is good publicity for a TV show, and this has ensured that a lot of people are going to keep watching the show to see the next 'surprise' talent.

quote:

We are talking about a TV talent show. Seems the perfect occasion for cynicism to me

¡este arbol tiene duende, cabron!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2009 19:34:14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote