Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

What happens when you die?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

cathulu

What happens when you die? 

Seriously, I was wondering, say someone posts frequently and then they stop. Are they sick, are they tired of it all and moved on, are they dead? What if they don't post frequently and stop cause they are DOA, what about them? Does anyone care? The tree falling in the forest riddle - are they even dead then?

How do we know anything. We are all anonymous entities, at least most of us are, separated across cities, countries and indeed continents.

It is strange. Leaves me feeling a bit unsettled just thinking about it... what is this thing about forum communities?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2009 18:09:19

John O.

RE: What happens when you die? (in reply to cathulu

I think until you meet the people in the forum personally they're like characters that you know exist but don't really feel like real people. There's no direct interaction, you don't hear a voice or see gestures, can't "feel" the person.

I think usually people get busy or find other interests, sometimes temporary, sometimes permanent. I assume nothing bad has happened and have no personal bond with anyone here, which is why I don't care when someone's missing (with the exception of the admins and flamenco gurus here), just as I wouldn't expect people to care when I go missing.

And anyways, most people come back eventually...

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2009 2:07:07

Ron.M

Cathulu,

As I mentioned before, you actually exist in the year 5125 and are presently on a Total Immersion holiday.

No one actually exists here.

In fact Flamenco doesn't even exist.

This is all a complete creation of your own holiday mindscape.

Including this message!

cheers,

(your creation) Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2009 2:26:44

alex_lord

Good topic.

I have been online for 15 years now and have participated in many forums, so I have seen people disappearing time and time again. Sometimes they come back, sometimes they don't. With some people there is a definite sense of something missing, but with others you don't even notice that they're gone. I suppose that notability is what makes the difference... some people just contribute more, better, or provide a unique point of view that is memorable.

I have a habit of "disappearing" from forums when other areas of my life get busier than usual. Typically I revert to lurking so that I can at least keep up with what is going on. Often I come back, sometimes I don't.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2009 7:53:55

Estevan

Ron summed it up nicely (as usual).

Beyond that...
"Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody. "

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2009 9:00:25

Pimientito

John O ...Estevan....you guys are still alive !!

I have been lurking a lot more recently myself but I am quite busy trying to buy a new business and working on a long list of repertoire for gigs this year. Its easier to be more forum active in the winter and i have noticed that in the last 2 years there has been a dip in forum activity in spring time.

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2009 10:26:19

mark indigo

quote:

What happens when you die?

nothing
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2009 13:58:29

cathulu

RE: What happens when you die? (in reply to Ron.M

Well, I didn't realize you mentioned this before, but it all makes sense now! Kind of like that show Life on Mars!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2009 21:22:56

gato

Funny I just came back after some time, and I thought this is a great topic, and I am sorry it's, well, dead. There are really two distinct deaths available, one where you are really dead and you decompose, and the other where you really just see a doctor and he gives you alum and growth hormones later, and so you take on a new identity. For the latter death of the former is a grand hypocrisy where in both instances nobody wants to talk about the difference between the two, so we all have to die even if we really don't actually die. I always plan on the latter.

But death on a web forum, you've got to go and figure, that everybody dies, right? Wether we graduate from our studies, or assume a new career, everything is constantly changing, and so do we. But for as long as something lasts is that really life? Are we living for internet friendships??? As far as I am concerned that is a death from the real. So it's all about where you stand, what your true memories are and where you go. I don't really care because most of the people in the world are waiting to die, and I am not.

As for kicking the foro, give it time. Kick it, come back, or just stop going on the internet. What??? I never really have been in to this long enough to consider it a life. I always just take time to living. It's more like the great antagonistic view. (I always consider it great community while I am here though.) One never knows enough until it's just a memory.
Gary

The Life Everlasting/Oswald Utopia
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 26 2009 18:48:58

duwen

well i was dead now i am reborn again..........hi

lol, i have been away, and came back and searched for an interesting threa d and found this............bet noone missed me. Why should they?

I came here because i love flamenco and would like to learn it. But i also like other styles and so have been looking at them, like Blues and Jazz
I am total beginner so have got to learn basics TOO so have been doing that

In my time since goin away for a buit I am learning so much...not only about geetar but other stuff too

I had a very powerful OBE years back where I actually met beings. Two who looked human--a man and woman, and leter I met what I thought were my mum and her friend but were Satyr-looking beings wearing their masks!!! This was as real as anything. And this extraordinarily powerful experience was also a divination of my future and a lot of it has come to pass. It was a warning. And because our culture has been separated from indigenous wisdom where dreams and non ordinary experiences were sacred and taken very seriously, and the meanings of them were explored---in OUR more superficial modern culture, this usually gets laughed at and ignored. And that is where I was for many years, and only i have had to work out what the experience means. And this realization is very recent and awe-inspiring

This experience has greatly changed my life. Because it makes you feel reality in a wholly different way than say if you totally believe in a materialistic reality----which I must point out I didn't before. I mean I had psychedelic experience when I was 15!! And that also profoundly changed my life. But this OBE was THE most powerful experience I have ever had

So what does it say for the question: What happens when you die?

i'll try and answer that this way. The materialists make out that only humans are organisms with mind, because of complex brain. And thus nature is 'dead'. And when brain dies that's it. Whatever 'it' means...............they mean ...haha what Do they mean? whats 'it'

BUT the meaning of 'organism' includes what the very universe is doing. So when the individuals, be they humans or other species die what does this mean in a universe which itself is alive

This is all a deep Mystery. The scientsts will never pin it down, and hopefully musicians will have a twinkle in their eye when they play deep music...............because maybe only music played with heart can go where words cannot
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 5:57:59

val

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Nov. 8 2010 13:09:38
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 7:39:11

duwen

RE: What happens when you die? (in reply to val

I hadn't taken any shrooms.

I have a great sense of humour...seriiosuly I have, especially if something said is geniuinely witty, but i find it really tiresome when people do not dig the sacredness of shrooms. I already did a thread showing the connection between a very anceint sacred mushroom religion of Mazatec people and flamenco---connected by the term 'duendes'----(and if anyone says I keep talking about it. its him that brought it up in this thread. I hadn't mentioned shrooms in my last post)

Of course you can have OBEs and all kinds of non ordinary experience when taking sacred medicine, which includes mushrooms. Ayahuasca, Peyote, etc etc But my OBE experience was not after taking any entheogens.

But please try and understand this seriously and not throw old cliche remarks at it. I expect more intelligence and understanding, and duende here!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 10:05:39

Ron.M

RE: What happens when you die? (in reply to duwen

duwen,

I'm sorry to have to say this, because you sound a nice enough guy, but as Administrator here, I have to say that nobody here is actually interested in OBEs or mystical stuff.

We get our highs from listening to and understanding and playing Flamenco music.

I mean it's like going on to the Model Railway Enthusiast's Forum and start posting enthusiastic stuff on Organic Gardening....

I'm sure that on the great big Internet, there must at least be a couple of sites that discuss mystical experiences and faries and elves and profound out of body experiences.

I hardly think a hardcore Flamenco music forum is the place.

I hope you understand.

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 11:26:28

duwen

The great Spanish poet, Federico Lorca would roll in his grave if he heard such superficial talk like that.

How can you speak for everyone too. Seriously...have you even done a survey to prove what you assume? And what about the title of this thread, if you feel like this why even allow this question?

Where are you from. Are you Gypsy? Spanish? I am curious?

I have a deadly feeling that this place is full of 'plastic flamencos' who are sucking the soul/spirit/duende from real flamenco!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 13:09:06

ToddK

RE: What happens when you die? (in reply to Estevan

quote:

Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody. "

From "The Catcher in the Rye". Nice. Great line.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 13:41:34

ToddK

there was a good friend of mine on Delcamp forum who died a few months
ago.
His wife logged on, and told us he was gone.

Very sad.

TK

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 13:49:24

Doitsujin

You definitely have a good sense of humor duwen...
Whoever used the definition "real" flamenco in past, turned out to have an outworn way of thinking about flamenco.. (Which is not meant as an insult. I mean with that, they like old flamenco..the sabicas area and close their eys and ears to anything starting with camaron in some cases..) What do you like most in flamenco? Which singers which guitarists? I wont argue about any tastes. It would be just interesting to know.

What is OBE? I only know OMG, WTF, LOL and ROFL..
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 13:57:30

Matic

RE: What happens when you die? (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

What is OBE?

OBE

Still don't know what's so special about it.

vengo de los san migueles
si no me caso este año que yo
me caso el año que viene
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 14:04:20

Andy Culpepper

Lol..I think he's talking about an "Out of Body Experience"...or were you joking about the British Empire thing

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 14:13:09

val

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Nov. 8 2010 13:09:24
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 14:35:05

val

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Nov. 8 2010 13:09:10
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 14:45:15

Florian

RE: What happens when you die? (in reply to duwen

quote:

I have a deadly feeling that this place is full of 'plastic flamencos' who are sucking the soul/spirit/duende from real flamenco!!

you plastic b*stards

jk..

when i die il write a long good bye tread ..dont worry

...and also, if i can ( i dont know how it works) but if i can ..il hover above my funeral ..to see who's crying, who came, whos not sad ..u know the usual, isnt it ironic that the one time everyone has to say the nicest things about you...u arent even there to hear it and take advantage of it .... pis*es me off a litlle cause i think..." if i wasent dead i would pick up a girl for sure here "

I havent killed anyone or done anything really bad...there better be life after death or theres gonna be some serious complaining when i get there

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 15:03:26

cathulu

You guys all crack me up. Yess, this thread is getting interesting. I thought off topic anything goes. Sometimes you need a break from Flamenco a bit. I know I do... is that sacriledge here? I just wanted to provoke discussion, death is a very interesting topic, whether real or virtual. As Woody said iirc, "its not that I am afraid of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens..."

OBE I assume means out of body experience. I used to try and get those, by that I mean Astral Travel, I think I was close but did not perservere.

Anyone remember Lobsang Rampa? I read him when I was like 12 years old

How about Carlos Castenada? I read one of his books...

PS Todd, sorry to hear about that loss...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 15:32:15

hamia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron.M

duwen,

I'm sorry to have to say this, because you sound a nice enough guy, but as Administrator here, I have to say that nobody here is actually interested in OBEs or mystical stuff.

We get our highs from listening to and understanding and playing Flamenco music.

I mean it's like going on to the Model Railway Enthusiast's Forum and start posting enthusiastic stuff on Organic Gardening....

I'm sure that on the great big Internet, there must at least be a couple of sites that discuss mystical experiences and faries and elves and profound out of body experiences.

I hardly think a hardcore Flamenco music forum is the place.

I hope you understand.

cheers,

Ron

It's in the off-topic section for crying out loud!!

I just want to know if the aliens gave him an anal probe during his encounters ... cos that's their favourite modus operandi.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 17:47:39

cathulu

RE: What happens when you die? (in reply to hamia

Yes, that is right. I don't understand, the last Administrator of this forum went power mad! Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Ron, what is up?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 18:04:15

andresito

RE: What happens when you die? (in reply to val

quote:

ORIGINAL: val
My father-in-law had one - he got to shake hands with the queen. My, what a lucky man.

How do you mean Val?
He got a medal from the queen?
Or he just thought he did after picking the wrong mushrooms for breakfast?

¡este arbol tiene duende, cabron!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 19:43:17

andresito

RE: What happens when you die? (in reply to hamia

quote:

ORIGINAL: hamia
I just want to know if the aliens gave him an anal probe during his encounters ... cos that's their favourite modus operandi.
Maybe they think earthlings are pets and are just taking their temperature?

¡este arbol tiene duende, cabron!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 19:45:46

Florian

RE: What happens when you die? (in reply to andresito

quote:

Maybe they think earthlings are pets and are just taking their temperature?

thats a good one, i got to remember that one

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 21:51:52

John O.

RE: What happens when you die? (in reply to Florian

quote:

isnt it ironic that the one time everyone has to say the nicest things about you

Yeah, isn't that funny? Recently my stepgrandmother passed away. A real witch, made life difficult for my mom. I said years ago I wanted nothing to do with her, hadn't visited her for years.

Of course after she passed my mother and stepfather were talking about going to the funeral and actually asked if I wanted to go. I said I didn't respect her before, why should I have any last respects to pay now?

Why when somebody dies are they all of a sudden treated like a saint? Alive: "Geez what a b@tch", dead: "Poor thing, she was so unhappy". I mean the only legal way to ultimately rid the world of a mean person is to have them pass. Why is everyone sad all of a sudden?

That funeral should have been a party

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 23:11:10

henrym3483

RE: What happens when you die? (in reply to John O.

"plastic flamencos" are those those little plastic dolls you see that cover toilet rolls from spain?

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 5 2009 23:22:21
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote