Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

When artists play with a net   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

gato

When artists play with a net 

I don't know of any worse or agravating thing in music than when any kind of Artists perform with a net. Who want's to go along with that? People just put up with it, and I don't really think it's that uncommon either, I mean in the age of television it's what we are brainwashed to expect, but in concert? Waste of money. So why do people go? Artists who perform with a recording suck!
This is a bust!
Gary
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 20 2009 18:47:09

bursche

RE: When artists play with a net (in reply to gato

There is a certain level of complexity that makes it impossible to fake a performance.
Because of that virtuosity is quite an important thing to me.

Visit me on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRaGz6Lf-Uz0HxUv-dGQFLQ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 21 2009 5:16:10

val

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Nov. 8 2010 13:27:24
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 22 2009 5:35:23

gato

RE: When artists play with a net (in reply to val

Yes val, it's an American expression, it refers to when people play a tape and mime or fake the performance, and it's quite common in entertainment. And the expression perform with a net, means they don't have do admit that they sing badly. I think a lot of people know who perform. Maybe it's an inside kind of thing to be aware of. People are easily fooled by the situation of having someone who is bigger than life get up on stage and his or her presence.....

Gary
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 22 2009 19:16:48

gj Michelob

I would imagine singers will do that occasionally. At times it is not even their choice, particulalry when a number of singers will perform in a swift succession.t There would be no time to fine tune everyone's amplification to one's liking or specs: hence the regretfully deceiving "lips-singing" or "play-back".

However, I never heard that instrumentalists will resort to a net, like a flamenco guitarist.... is there such a shameful case?

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 22 2009 20:37:36

gato

RE: When artists play with a net (in reply to gj Michelob

??? That's a scary thought. 'Lip sync guitar', I could imagine that a guitarist who makes a video over a mulititrack arangement could fake a single passing in the video performance. But then, who would buy that? I mean this Hollywood stuff in the flamenco? Naaaaa.

You've got to use your head. What is real and what is not is a matter of perception, and the next step from that would be to play the multitrack recording in concert, and fake it so it looks like a performance on one guitar. Naaaa.

With all respect, solo guitar is solo guitar and any maestro who records an album in multitrack arrangements, is still indeed making solo guitar work. How do you present the same exact music in concert on a single guitar? Naaaa.
Real solo guitar is different.....

Hollywood fake 'lip sync' stuff, it's for the birds! It doesn't happen in the flamenco!

But, the thread wasn't really refering to that and I really ment that virtuosso work really is superior, and after all you can tell! Hollywood is the real perpatrator that I have seen. Do you remember the 90's when pop stars use to dance and sing in concert so vigorously that it would be so hard to sing and dance at the same time let alone grunt with a little microphone clipped to their ear and protruding from thier jaw? Now that was blatant, and that was lip sync. People would be at the concerts and scream and yell, and yet, there was no band! My god, everyone knew, but that's what all of the stars did. Everybody loved it! That's what this thread is about and I'm not going to be the one to hijack it.

Now I am pulling your leg!

It's the audience who's in question.
Gary
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 22 2009 22:34:30

XXX

I think those who go to a playback concert or whatever dont expect or want artistic virtuosity anyway, so its not a big deception. In flamenco this is generally different.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 23 2009 2:53:07

Jenny

Someone pointed this vid out to me and said they reckoned it was done 'with a net' (I've never heard the phrase before either) - ie mimed.. But he's Vicente! Surely not..

I can't tell actually - am pretty good at spotting vocals, drums etc but not guitar miming for some reason. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Jenny
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 23 2009 9:53:38

gj Michelob

RE: When artists play with a net (in reply to Jenny

quote:

Someone pointed this vid out to me and said they reckoned it was done 'with a net' (I've never heard the phrase before either) - ie mimed.. But he's Vicente! Surely not..
I can't tell actually

A few of his Videos (Vicente's) do give that impression, that he is miming simulating a live-performance, see for example:

At times, I would suppose it is due to a reasonable disconnection between video and sound but.... it is possible he is playing with a net.

In the Video you linked, the clapping must be from a "playback" source, anyway. Therefore we are already dealing with hidden tapes to some extent.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 23 2009 10:14:42

bursche

RE: When artists play with a net (in reply to gj Michelob

In the Soleá there are several cuts.

Usually those TV-concerts aren't played in a single setting.

But guitar playback ???

I'm sure every other guitarist could reveal that at once.
And here it doesn't look like this.
At the olympic ceremony its hard to tell from the distance, but I don't think he does it.

Visit me on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRaGz6Lf-Uz0HxUv-dGQFLQ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 23 2009 11:47:52

HolyEvil

I think it's a waste of time watching performances where they are lipsynching. You are just paying to watch them move around or dance on stage. Unless they are Jessica Alba, I will not pay money for that.

For musical stuff, like mentioned, I can't imagine any musicial worth their salt would ever fingersynch to their guitar. It's an insult to them, their art and their fans. Only ok for playing with a pre recorded track is when there are multiple guitars in the song, and one guitar just can't cut it. Or a pre recorded flute section or something.
But only if the main instrument is not synched.

I don't mind a guitarist with a drum machine or a drummer with a synthesized guitar part, but not the other way around.

cheers
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2009 15:50:36

gato

Well at least you all get the gist of this thread. The next thing is to realize that we are no match for multitrack recordings when we play au natural. I mean it is to say that people play guitar for years not realizing that much of their album collections of classical and flamenco guitars are multitrack, and there is no way to play like that alone on one guitar.

I like to play and develop my natural guitar style, and it's a challenge to compete with studio recordings. When ever I remember I pat myself on the back with a smile and re asure that I am not that bad after all. I mean let's face it, real natural human ability alone by itself is rare indeed. But, I'm not going to sit on a worm hole looking for it!
Gary
Be good to yourself.

The Life Everlasting/Oswald Utopia
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 30 2009 0:16:28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message