Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Todd's latest Buleria   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   3 4 [5] 6 7    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

zata

RE: Todd's latest Buleria (in reply to Miguel de Maria

quote:

I think what we non-experts are having problem with is the concept of...how everyone knows when the stops are

I'm not sure what you mean by "stops". And I didn't know what Jim meant by "remates". If you mean dancer's llamadas, they're very rare in bulerías, and the guitarist doesn't need to do anything special. Desplantes are unmistakable so the question answers itself...the dancer is the boss...if they indicate a desplante, you may end 3 sixes later (the rest of a desplante) if the dancer is finished dancing, but who in their right mind would count that out? When I first learned to accompany dance I was taught to play Dm on the second six beats, but that's very old-fashioned and I don't think anyone does it any more. Desplantes require no special attention from the guitarist, who is often busy accompanying the singer at that point.

Cante doesn't have stops except for the cute tongue-twisters and bouncey endings, and again, the singers are boss.

Guitarists don't get to control things that much (it just seems that way ).

Estela 'Zata'
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 3 2004 19:47:37

Ron.M

Speaking for my fellow Britons, I would say not, Mike.
Too much tea under the bridge and all that.
With the exception of Li'l Jimmy Osmond's song "Long Haired Lover From Liverpool", we don't hold many grudges against the USA.
(Except of course for "Bear in the Big Blue House", aka "W"... but now we're talking about the whole planet here, not just Britain LOL!)
When I visited San Antonio and the Alamo, I was amazed to see so many Scottish names carved on the stone of remembrance.
(The Scots have always liked a good fight, whether they won or not LOL!)

http://www.rosslyntemplars.org.uk/alamo_piper.htm

Hae a guid 4th July youze guys!

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 3 2004 20:46:31

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jul. 9 2004 13:56:25
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 4 2004 1:32:06

zata

RE: Todd's latest Buleria (in reply to Guest

quote:

I just saw Rafael de Carmen dance an absolutely brilliant solea por bulerias
where he cut four times on 9, the next time on 10, then the next time on 11.

Hmmm... ...now I'm wondering if the lack of communication on bulerías compás is because it's being equated with the compás of soleá por bulería. Unless Andy's observation was just an aside, this would explain the talk of "stops" and "remates" which had me baffled. Despite the label, soleá por bulería (also called bulería por soleá, bulería pa' escuchar and bulerías al golpe) does not use bulerías cante or compás, and nothing I've written applies except to bulerías.

Soleá por bulería can be managed in 12s, in fact a guitarist is obligated to do so, even when singers work sixes. That's a whole nuther story.

"It was intentionally psychological. Your ear expected 10, but you didn't get it."

The classic bulerías llamada which has fallen into disuse relied on heavily accenting the fourth (tenth) beat of a 12-count, which ran against the grain of the usual pulse, and the even older desplantes which used to begin on beat 12 (6) with a hiccup at "and two" ("and eight") accented the fifth (eleventh) beat, stranger still...

Estela 'Zata'
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 4 2004 9:08:36

Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miguel de Maria

Tomorrow is the 4th of July, the day we Americans celebrate our independence. My brother asked me if British people are bitter about that...so I thought I would ask some Scottish people. Well, are they?

No. Just jealous!

Rob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 4 2004 10:57:28

Jim Opfer

RE: Todd's latest Buleria (in reply to zata

Zata,

quote:

Hmmm... ...now I'm wondering if the lack of communication on bulerías compás is because it's being equated with the compás of soleá por bulería. Unless Andy's observation was just an aside, this would explain the talk of "stops" and "remates" which had me baffled.

You seem to be saying that buleria, unlike solea and solea por medio. has no requirement for compas other than being regulated by twos?

If this is a correct understanding of what you have said, then this notion is totally unique and I have never heard any professional performer say this before.

So I've got to remain a bit unsure of your advice on this one.

Cheers
Jim.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 4 2004 11:04:57

zata

RE: Todd's latest Buleria (in reply to Jim Opfer

quote:

You seem to be saying that buleria, unlike solea and solea por medio. has no requirement for compas other than being regulated by twos?

This sentence seems to confirm what I suspected, you were trying to relate bulerías to soleá por bulería, possibly even soleá. It's the equivalent of saying Pavarotti and Michael Jackson are the same because they're both famous male singers.

Bulerías has multiple layers of compás that are not found in any other flamenco form (ok, 'palo', what a dumb word). The universe of bulerías compás is the subject of what I'm writing about, not only because it's a commissioned piece of work, but because there would hardly be enough to fill a half page about soleá or bulería por soleá compás.

(I assume "por medio" is a typo)... The captioned statement above is not accurate. What I wrote was you can eliminate any of the many layers of compás of bulerías, but if you eliminate twos, the structure crumbles. Again, the clip that began this string is a clear example of the pitfalls of relying on phantom 12s...so near yet so far from being in compás.

When I was a child I could never understand why anyone needed orchestra conductors...it seemed you could just set a tempo and everyone would keep going. Nevertheless we all know what happens when there's no conductor! Twos are the built-in conductor of bulerías.

"If this is a correct understanding of what you have
said, then this notion is totally unique and I have never
heard any professional performer say this before."

I've never heard anyone except teachers talk about twelves or sixes either. The following is from a post to another forum where someone said the same thing as you:

“I never heard any Spaniard mention twos until Tomás de Perrate
on Monday (apparently David Jones in Madrid teaches this way too)...and
I was so surprised it warranted a post. Flamenco artists who don't teach
have no patience for, or interest in analyzing what they do. Tomás is in a
special category because about to turn 40, he is just beginning his career
and has to take every possible shortcut.

<snip>

“And of course he harped on the importance of feeling twos before
trying to navigate through 6s or 12s. His exact words, captured on
tape, to the student (an experienced American guitarist) were: "no
puedo creer la osadía de hablar del compás de bulerías sin saber marcar
la base" ("I can't believe the brazenness of talking about bulerías compás
without first knowing how to mark the foundation"). It sounds snotty, but
Tomás is a very kind and respectful man and it was said in genuine
bewilderment...he hasn't really had contact with Americans other than me,
and doesn't realize must of us are taught the twelve model when we start out”.

Or as John (whose bulerías really cooked) said in the Bible: "The twos shall make you free" (some idiot transcribed it wrong in the more commonly heard quote ).

Estela 'Zata'
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 4 2004 11:53:59

duende

quote:

The twos shall make you free

Why dosen`t a certain someone record it and set us all free?

Henrik
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 4 2004 13:39:39

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jul. 9 2004 13:56:37
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 4 2004 17:27:54

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jul. 9 2004 13:57:05
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 4 2004 18:27:12

zata

RE: 2s in bulerias examples (in reply to Guest

quote:

My main reason is that by coincidence I heard 2 friends (a guitarist and a dancer) who tour with major companies from Spain go into hysterics when a very vocal flamencologist that lives in America was talking about twos in bulerias. Both of them strongly denied that such a thing exists and in fact, started singing the theme of the western Bonanza and dancing a mocking bulerias against it.

I've commented that non-teaching Spaniards don't understand the system of assigning numbers to beats, and those who do teach, usually begin with a 12-model. I was astonished to see Tomás de Perrate teaching a guitarist that twos were the basis of all bulerías. Tomás is the son of Perrate de Utrera, he grew up singing bulerías as easily as the rest of us breathe. He was suddenly called upon to give an accompaniment class and this intense, cerebral man was forced to ask himself what bulerías felt like, in order to convey the feeling to someone else. He knew nothing of twelves or counting, completely uncontaminated...and twos, not counted as "one-two" but felt, is what he came up with. Furthermore he was literally shocked to find his advanced guitar student trying to construct longer phrases before feeling the thrust of the binary compás, and flatly stated it couldn't be done. This took place in my living room years after I began noticing how twos run bulerías.

Later on I heard that David Jones, an experienced American guitarist living in Madrid, teaches his guitar students to feel bulerías in twos, and now you mention an American 'flamencologist' ...doesn't that make you wonder?

Foreigners analyze flamenco because they come to it as adults. Spaniards do not because they hear it from childhood. This reminds me of a guitar teacher in Jerez whose name is unimportant...I watched him giving a guitar class and the American student kept asking questions like "Does the strum come on 3?" "Does it repeat from 6?" I knew the teacher had no idea what he meant, but being an enterprising soul he quickly realized he was to say numbers along with the beats if the student was to be kept happy. So he counted randomly with each movement of his hands, with no rhyme or reason...sounded like he was calling off the winners of the Christmas lottery .

> But I do not accept that it is universal in bulerias.
> Perhaps this relates more to cante or just an easy
> way to pat the foot.

All bulerías is structured on twos. If you prefer not to consider it that way for whatever reason, the structure is still there, and there's never any need to beat your foot...plenty of older guitarists beat 1-2, 4-5...some beat 12...some let their feet waggle nervously. None of this changes the nature of bulerías in any way. It's either useful to you or not, but there is no way to separate one bulería from another in this regard.

I think the only way to see the inner structure is to listen to many recorded bulerías beating twos straight through, never lapsing into 3s, 6s, or 12s. It's very exciting when you see the elegant simplicity of it all.

Estela 'Zata'
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 4 2004 19:52:38

Ron.M

RE: 2s in bulerias examples (in reply to zata

quote:

I think the only way to see the inner structure is to listen to many recorded bulerías beating twos straight through, never lapsing into 3s, 6s, or 12s. It's very exciting when you see the elegant simplicity of it all.

Estela 'Zata'

If I can chime in here.
I've "learned" Bulerias over the years by the usual 12's principle.
I'm still not good at it, even trying to keep compás with unfamiliar records.
Now,I know this has nothing to do with music, but as an Engineer, sometimes you can look at something and tell that it's wrong.
Something "not quite right".
It might be the shape, or the way it appears to work, or as in the case of Research Scientists, when the same experiment leads to 20 different results, you've got to start asking questions about the whole premise of the experiment in the first place.
I've struggled with Bulerias for ages and once I grasped the 3, 6, 8, 10 12 cycle I thought I'd got it.
But alas no.
In fact very far from it.
There seemed to be zillions of different Bulerias rhythm permutations and I couldn't believe that say, a 10 year old dancer in Spain had learned them all.
The idea seems "ugly", and just didn't fit.
After all, as I said before...this is "real" music to the Flamencos.
Something they do when they're even drunk and having a good time.
It was only after Zata's initial post some months ago that Ondajerez started streaming some programmes from the peñas of Jerez.
The stuff these guys were playing was different to anything I'd heard on records or CD's.
A very much more relaxed style and something that didn't conform to the 3,6,8,10,12 analysis.
The stuff was so "loose", very relaxed and rhythmic, and took a lot of analysis from my own "12 count" perspective to make any sense of.
The only thing that seemed to be obvious was this strong 2,4,6,8,10,12 count.

I don't know if Zata's right or wrong, for as everybody knows, it's hard to get any solid information on Flamenco, only opinions.
But when I saw one of my favourite Bulerias accompanists tap his foot 2,4,6,8,10,12 regardless of where the compás was going, or if he was spanning his falsetas over 2 lots of eighteen beats, I had to agree that the "12's" structure I had learned was only an illusion of what is actually going on.
It has to be able to be rationalised more than that....

I am (despite what Jim says LOL!) absolutely rotten at Bulerias.
Sure, I can make an "Elvis impersonation" of something I've heard, provided it fits into my preconceptions of what Buleria is.
But I still understand nothing of what I'm doing, except for that particular piece.
Show me any foreign Flamenco player who posts stuff on the various Forums who is completely at home with Flamenco music apart from the pieces he has practiced and learned? ....including Todd!
In reality, even a competent Jazz guitarist with little knowledge of Flamenco could put something credible together once he was aware of the 3, 6, 8, 10, 12 or 3, 7,8 10, 12 structure and was told to start on 12 and end on 6 or 10.
I think they call it a rhythmic motif (?)
But is this Flamenco?
So it boiled down to those yellow and black books you used to get in the '60's called "Teach Yourself....Accountancy....Atomic Physics....Classical Music....Art"..........Bulerias LOL!
(There used to be books with a similar content, but much shorter, called "How to Bluff Your Way Through....Shakespeare...Renaissance Art....Chinese Philosophy"...etc etc LOL!)
So that's exactly how I feel about Flamenco.
Especially Bulerias.
I am in the process now of trying to unlearn what I have picked up over the years, and trying to develop a more simplistic approach.
It's very hard to keep time, in comparison to my "old" way of thinking, which I think in the long run is "limiting" and makes you no more of a Flamenco player than a parrot can imitate sounds.
But I think it's worth persevering with despite the difficulties in the "short" term.

I have a sneakin' suspicion that Estela's got it right.
I feel I've just got to try to unravel all the wrong thinking I've been doing for years.
It would be easier continuing with the illusion, as I can sound better, like I know what I'm doing, to another guitarist.
But I'm not really into that...
Life's too short.
I'd rather spend my time trying to get to the heart of the matter if possible.
And I don't think the answer is the way I've learned.
At the moment, I think it lies in the 2's.
Really!

My observations only!

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 4 2004 21:42:26

Miguel de Maria

Well, Ron, you have a flexible mind for someone in middle age. That's good, I hope I do.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 4 2004 23:05:37

zata

quote:

Well, Ron, you have a flexible mind for someone in middle age.

Lots of things get flexible in middle age.

Estela 'Zata'
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 4 2004 23:13:45

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jul. 9 2004 13:56:47
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 4 2004 23:16:59

zata

quote:

[quote[non-teaching Spaniards

You wrote:
Actually, these were two Spaniards and both teach.

You cut the quote too short and took it to mean the opposite of what I wrote which was:

"...non-teaching Spaniards don't understand the system
of assigning numbers to beats, and those who do teach,
usually begin with a 12-model".

I also added that I know of only one Spaniard who saw twos as the basis of bulerías, and that was Tomás de Perrate, who has not been 'tainted' by standard teaching methods or contact with foreigners. He looked at the bulerías he's been hearing and doing all his life, and twos were what loomed bigger than all else...this is very important coming from a town like Utrera which is as hooked on bulerías as Jerez, and from a singer as steeped in compás as Tomás.

And then:
"I am sure there is cante and toque that do beat as you say.
But I think it is inaccurate and misleading to claim that ALL
bulerias has this in it. For example, in baile, an extended
section of footwork in threes has no flavor of twos in it,
whatsoever."

Cante and toque don't "beat" anything except the compás which is always in the air...even if the guitarist breaks a string and stops playing, or keels over drunk. The compás of bulerías *may* employ 3s, 6s or 12s, but 2s are *always* present. Don't look at cantes, steps or falsetas, just examine the compás in this way. It's there.

Also:
"Sixes do sometimes beat in twos and sometimes 12s do as well. But for threes, never."

That's not true. There are many falsetas in 3s and many steps (ever see how Manuela Carrasco ends por soleá with outstrechted airplane arms?). Cante isn't percussive (except for those tongue-twist ditties sometimes used for endings), so "cante in threes" would be a sort of oxymoron.

If you're completely at ease with bulerías at any tempo, with any combination of singer and dancer, in any situation, then you've already internalized the beat and shouldn't bother fixing something that ain't broke.

Estela 'Zata'
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 4 2004 23:51:12

zata

RE: 2s in bulerias examples P.S. (in reply to zata

quote:

The compás of bulerías *may* employ 3s, 6s or 12s, but 2s are *always* present.

It occurs to me that that sounds ambiguous. If a dancer does a step in threes for example, and you remove the two-pulse, all you've got is waltz again. It's the superimposition of twos over (or under) everything else that gives bulerías its edge and its structure.

Experiment: Make waltz rhythm with your voice, either with sounds or by counting. Beat your foot every three beats to mirror the waltz rhythm. Then change to beating every two beats without stopping or changing the voice. That ought to do something .

Estela 'Zata'
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 5 2004 0:01:59

Jim Opfer

Zata,

quote:

(I assume "por medio" is a typo)...

No, this was intentional, Solea por medio. Why do you ask, is this wrong?

Cheers
Jim
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 5 2004 12:17:34

zata

quote:

No, this was intentional, Solea por medio. Why do you ask, is this wrong?

"Por medio" is a finger position on the guitar and has no bearing on rhythmic possibilites...I assume you meant soleá por bulería, which, like soleá and bulería, can be played por medio (A postion) or por arriba (E position)....and other more avant-garde options which have become available in recent years. In other words, we're talking *right* hand, not left hand.

Estela 'Zata'
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 5 2004 13:14:55

Jim Opfer

Zata,

quote:

"Por medio" is a finger position on the guitar

That's it, por medio, in the middle (A).

Cheers
Jim.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 5 2004 14:47:28

zata

quote:

That's it, por medio, in the middle (A).

Then why would a position have any influence on compás? Compás doesn't even require a guitar .

Estela 'Zata'
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 5 2004 15:55:49

Billyboy

They always say Buleria evolved from Solea, but for me they sound nothing the same, Siguria, pardon the spelling, I'm pissed, sounds more like a Buleria to me, did Buleria not evolve from this?
Cheers
Dave
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 5 2004 16:49:25

Jim Opfer

Zata,

quote:

Compás doesn't even require a guitar

A guitar is just a box, it's the guitarist's job to make the music.

Cheers
Jim.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 6 2004 14:58:12

zata

quote:

Compás doesn't even require a guitar

A guitar is just a box, it's the guitarist's job to make the music.

Okay, you forced me to say this Jim, it's a dirty job but somebody has to do it:

Compás doesn't even require a *guitarist*

Zata
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 6 2004 15:04:13

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jul. 9 2004 13:55:01
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 6 2004 15:27:53

zata

quote:

Precisely my point. One Spaniard from Utrera does not define the universe of flamenco. And anyway, the bulerias of Utrera do not sound identical to the bulerias of Jerez.

Whoa! I came into twos all by myself after decades of doing bulerías and never expected or needed anyone to tell me how important they are. Then out of the blue, the son of the great Perrate comes along and tells a student that twos are what matter in bulerías. Then I heard that David Jones, whom a lot of Americans look up to and who plays great bulerías, *also* teaches twos. Corroboration was requested and you can't get much better than that.

"As I mentioned before, one Spaniard in Cordoba
says that bulerias is all a single 12-count rhythm.
That statement is not true in Jerez either".

It's not true *anywhere* except in a beginner's class.

"For example, at a workshop last month Mercedes Amaya's
husband Santiago Aguilar played us examples of three
notably different current-day bulerias compas styles from
3 different towns in Spain - completely different."

Precisely *because* of the extraordinary diversity of bulerías, a common denominator is required. Despite that diversity people from different towns can do bulerías together because the binary rhythm holds everything together.

I urge anyone who is interested in this to spend time listening to bulerías recordings while thinking or beating twos. It's going to be like Columbus and the egg .

Estela 'Zata'
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 6 2004 15:47:07

Jim Opfer

RE: 2s in bulerias examples (in reply to zata

Hi Zata,

quote:

binary rhythm holds everything together

Sorry, must seem that we're all taking shots at you but I've got to add that 'Binary rhythem' could be enything including the noise your feet make running down the stairs

Cheers
Jim.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 6 2004 16:14:05

zata

RE: 2s in bulerias examples (in reply to Jim Opfer

quote:

Sorry, must seem that we're all taking shots at you but I've got to add that 'Binary rhythem' could be enything including the noise your feet make running down the stairs

That's right! (although feet running down stairs is only ones, which never caught on). And just think of what computers do with nothing more than "on-off" which is the basis of all digitalized signals.

The duality of a heartbeat, yes-no, boy-girl, black-white, yin-yang, one-two, buckle my shoe. In the end, all rhythmic music is probably twos or threes, and a 12-count is just an intellectual conceit not conducive to making music.

Get it going simultaneously with any beat you customarily keep for bulerías, and get back to me...

Estela 'Zata'
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 6 2004 16:36:32

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jul. 9 2004 13:55:14
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 6 2004 16:38:33

zata

quote:

P.S. BTW, it feels to me that one style did swing in twos, but the other two did not.

Andy, you've got the wrong mindset. Styles can do whatever they want, it's the *compás* they're subject to that swings in twos. If it were a *style*, you would expect people to occasionally do palmas in twos, but they do not.

Estela 'Zata'
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 6 2004 17:10:26
Page:   <<   <   3 4 [5] 6 7    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   3 4 [5] 6 7    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote