Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Yamaha, Alhambra or Antonio Aparicio?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

chokolada

Yamaha, Alhambra or Antonio Aparicio? 

Hello guys
I´m looking for an entry level flamenco guitar, and I have the impression that the Yamaha model is very popular. But I´m not sure if it is still a good bargain when it costs 379 euros, as it does here in northern europe? For the same price I can get an alhambra 3F or for 100 more euros an Antonio Aparicio AA40. What would be the better choice, you think?

J.L.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2009 9:33:54

Ailsa

RE: Yamaha, Alhambra or Antonio Apar... (in reply to chokolada

Hi chokolada, I'm not an expert but I had an Aparicio for my first guitar, and it was - well, still is, my husband plays it now - a nice sounding, easy to play guitar.

My only criticism is that I found it a little bass-heavy, not much volume at the top end, but maybe that was just that particular model. Or maybe it was just the strings I was using then (D'Addario medium tension), or maybe the way I play it!

I think that's the problem with advising you - your hands might suit a different guitar to mine, so the only way to really know is for you to go play them, which I know isn't a practical option for everyone.

I'll let some more knowledgeable guys chip in now. Good luck!

http://www.flamencojourney.com
http://www.myspace.com/flamencojourney
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2009 14:03:36

ChiyoDad

In the US, Yamahas are inexpensive and can be had for as little as US$270. That skews the value-for-money towards Yamaha so it's a very popular student flamenco guitar. Its value-for-money is less in Europe where Spanish-made guitars can be purchased for less.

The best solution would be to play all three if you can.

I'm more inclined to trust the quality-control of Alhambra, Ramirez and Aparicio (for factory-made guitars) rather than some of the other factories like Raimundo. I was chatting once with one of the owners of the 12th Fret in Ontario and he stopped carrying Raimundo years ago because of quality control issues (2-3 of every 5 guitars had to be returned).

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2009 8:12:02

Arash

Buy the Yamaha .....or .....try to find a used Hnos. Sanchiz Lopez for 500 - 600 Euros.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 9 2009 8:29:34

superboo

i have a yamaha and love it. but i have nothing else to compare it to, plus i live in the US where it's cheaper. good luck in your search.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2009 12:50:36

chokolada

Thanks everybody for your replies. I´m still thinking and changing my mind every second I have tried the Antonio Aparicio AA40 and liked it but it´s very annoying that I don´t have the opportunity to try the Yamaha as well before I order it:-( The thing is that I really like the sound of the Yamaha when I listen to the audio clips some of you have posted (maybe because you guys play so damn well!!!)

By the way, Ailsa, nice to see I´m not the only female on this forum! Was it the AA40 you had or another model?

Do anyone else know the AA40?

J.L
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2009 14:02:07

bursche

I played the AA40 for 2 years.

It was my very first guitar.
I don't think the differences between the student guitars are significant.
But the Instrument was satisfying for the start.
I thought I noticed a remarkable development of it's sound after about one year when I compared very early recordings to new ones, but that could have been my playing.
After 2 years I really needed something new to play on...

Visit me on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRaGz6Lf-Uz0HxUv-dGQFLQ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 12 2009 12:01:09

cathulu

My 2 cents

This will be your first Flamenco, like you said entry level. So, spend as little as you can to get a flamenco guitar that has proper set-up which will be important for playbility. Yamaha's seem to be well received around here.

After a few of years if you like it you will want to get a much nicer guitar, or commission a luthier to build you one. By then you will have hopefully tried a few different guitars and decide on something you really like suited to your ergonomics.

Good luck and let us know what you have finally decided...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 12 2009 20:42:25

chokolada

Hi again
I finally made my mind up and ordered the Yamaha from Euroguitar (France) . It came 3 days later and I´m very pleased with it. I ordered it without having the chance to try it out first, but you guys are right, it´s not bad at all! I think it´s better than the other entry level flamenco guitars I have tried (Alhambra, Almanza and Antonio Aparicio), the sound is more flamenco, at least in my ears. And another thing, I started out practising for 2 months on a regular classical, it was a huge joy to get the yamaha after that. Actually I did´nt suck nearly as much as I thought

Janne
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 2 2009 12:02:32

at_leo_87

i think chiyodad said somewhere that his yamaha sounded much better after changing strings. so you have that to look forward to too!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 2 2009 12:26:23

PhilW

I have a Yamaha CGX-171SFC - flamenco electric cutaway. It is a very nice guitar but not really a flamenco. It is a classical with a laminated cypress back and sides. It has a heavy neck and truss rod and the action from the sound board is not in spec with "true" flamenco guitars. That being said is it a good beginning guitar - yes. I have a $200.00 - unrefined Luthier guitar from Spain and I prefer it since it has more of a flamenco tone - perhaps because it weighs much less.

I had a Alhambra 10F - very nice guitar - not great but worth the $700.00 I paid for it. After having one I would not pay the new price for it.

I am currently having a flamenco guitar build by Canadian luthier Jeff Sigurdson - he does amazing work for amazing prices and is a nice guy too.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 7 2009 16:19:22

ChiyoDad

Strings to try:

• Savarez 540R (Medium Tension)
  • Savarez 540ARJ (Medium Tension trebles, Hard Tension basses) - Currently on my Yamaha and I like them.
  • Augustine Imperial Gold (Medium Tension trebles, Hard Tension basses) - These are interesting strings. I won't prejudice your opinion with my own. Try them out when you can since they're not that expensive. Let me know what you think.
  • LaBella Elite Flamenco 820R or 820B - Foro favorites.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 8 2009 8:33:06

ChiyoDad

If you try the Augustines, remember that the black end of the trebles gets tied to the bridge.

One foro member swapped out the hard-plastic saddle and nut with ones made of bone. He said it made a big improvement.

I haven't tried that yet since I'm happy with the tone of my Yamaha. Why mess with a good thing?. A custom-made bone saddle can be acquired here in the US cheaply for about $35 (expedited postage included) from http://www.guitarsaddles.com/.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 8 2009 8:42:29

chokolada

Thanks a lot ChiyoDad for the recommendations - I´ll try them out when the factory strings need to be replaced - right now I´m still just pleased with my new guitar so the strings will do for now and then I can look forward to an even better sound when I replace them. I´m thinking this way: the more I practise the more I´ll deserve (and need) a better sound

Janne
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2009 4:52:22

HolyEvil

RE: Yamaha, Alhambra or Antonio Apar... (in reply to PhilW

I thought none of those guitars mentioned has a truss rod??

Does the yamaha cutaway actually have a truss rod??

Cheers
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2009 15:45:26

ChiyoDad

RE: Yamaha, Alhambra or Antonio Apar... (in reply to HolyEvil

quote:

ORIGINAL: HolyEvil
I thought none of those guitars mentioned has a truss rod??

I know that the Yamaha doesn't.

quote:

ORIGINAL: HolyEvil
Does the yamaha cutaway actually have a truss rod??

Don't know. Never bothered to play one. I'll check it out the next time that I visit a Guitar Center. Our regional one almost always has two CG171SF and one cutaway-electronic in stock.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2009 16:33:01
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post