Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Interesting conversation about Tendovaginitis and EL Viejin today   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Kate

RE: Interesting conversation about T... (in reply to Ron.M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron.M

True religion should be about hard work, duty to God, denial of any pleasure whatsoever and hell fire and damnation like the good Calvanist teaching that was prevalent in my time as a kid in bonny Scotland.

HA ha ha the Calvanists, dont you just love their work ethic !! You should try the Welsh Methodists for laughs

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 6 2009 3:17:17

Kate

RE: Interesting conversation about T... (in reply to Ailsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ailsa
And that Gitana who said you could come to her if you needed, isn't that just the sort of community help that many western societies have lost? For the worse I would say.

Yes one of the 'aims' of the culto is to unite the community, instead of all the feuding that goes on. Like Ron I dont really like happy clappy, being a total cynic, but to my surprise I was not at all uncomfortable with it, and yes came away with a good feeling about it. Before going I had just thought the whole thing sinister but it wasn't at all.

Talking of Opeus Dei look out for the film 'Camino', which just won the Goya. Its all about the Catholic 'Cult' of Opeus Dei. And I mean Cult in the true English sense of the word. Now they really are scary and sinister.

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 6 2009 3:25:16

Ron.M

RE: Interesting conversation about T... (in reply to Kate

quote:

You should try the Welsh Methodists for laughs

Yeah, I knew a guy who was brought up in a Welsh Methodist family.

Much the same as here....no sports allowed on a Sunday, nor the use of tools of any kind, even scissors....Dancing or even laughing out loud was also a mortal sin.

Probably breathing would have been a sin if you enjoyed it...

(Of course, sex just didn't exist back then....there was only "filth". )

cheers,

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 6 2009 5:54:37

Estevan

quote:

El Culto is also known as the Church of Filadelfia.

Its an evangelical church which as you can see from the quote above has become increasingly popular among the Gypsies of Spain. [......]

I have never been in such a noisy church, the music was super loud and went on throughout the whole service.

Did you see this guy there? I don't think he's actually a member, but he seems to be quite important to them:

Me da igual. La música es música.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 13 2009 15:13:36

Adam

RE: Interesting conversation about T... (in reply to pacowannab

quote:

ORIGINAL: pacowannab

quote:

the best way to prevent it is to warm up slowly, and do daily stretching of your arms chest and back

it helps to lift light weights as a work out to strengthen the large muscles.

you should play using large muscle groups etc.

Cool. The flamenco players of the future are going to be as buffed as Aaaarnold! Flamenco is expensive enough already - now I've got to save up for 'roids!
Personally, I wasted a lot of time and effort on a penis strengthener - but that's for another thread (possibly on another website) and is an entirely different kind of workout. Not sure if it helped my guitar playing much... Sure ELEVATED my mood though.

You wait and see - soon Vicente's going to come out saying he took roids, and they're going to subpoena Gerardo, and then the inevitable will happen and someone will break it to flamenco-world.com that Paco himself took steroids. He'll say he only took them from 1971 to 1973 but people will already be let down... asterisks on the cover of Siroco... it'll be a sad day for flamenco.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 15 2009 14:21:49

mark indigo

RE: Interesting conversation about T... (in reply to Florian

this tendonitis thing, it really has a simple cause.

muscles are grouped in pairs, one extends and one flexes, you can see this real easy re fingers, one muscle bends and the opposing one straightens.

tendons attach muscles to bones.

to bend a finger, you contract the flexor muscle and the tendon is the rope that actually pulls the bones so the finger bends. The oppsing muscle, the extensor must be relaxed while this movement happens.

To straighten the finger the extensor contracts, pulls on the tendons that attach to the bones, and the flexor must be relaxed.

if one muscle is still contracting while the other one is trying to contract you get "tension", and if you practise for hours and hours like this you will end up getting inflamed tendons.

if you are really well co-ordinated the appropriate muscles will relax and contract at the right times, and this won't be a problem, so you can play as much as you want.

improving co-ordination will help to prevent the condition, and to alleviate it if it develops (but you will also need lots of rest to get the inflammation down).

if you get pain, stop and rest, don't push it.

otherwise, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 25 2009 13:44:38

mark indigo

RE: Interesting conversation about T... (in reply to mrMagenta

quote:

When I get sore, it is usually from doing half-barres where the top joint is pressed backwards.

don't push so hard!

quote:

Does that also constitute a risk for tendovaginitis?

if you push too hard, yes, if you don't push too hard, no
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 25 2009 13:48:03

mrMagenta

thanks mark.
you're right. that's the thing.

i'm working on loosening up, and it has already stopped the left hand from getting sore.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 25 2009 17:50:42

pacowannab

I've suffered from this "tendonitis thing" in the past. In fact, I had to stop playing for 6 months. This was when I was playing a 660mm scale guitar with Luthier 30 (med-high) tension strings for about 4 hours per day without having warmed up properly. I've since switched to a 655mm, then to a 650mm scale and lowered the tension (Luthier 20's). I usually don't have any problems any more. However, occasionally, especially when using a lot of bar chords (eg. Tomatito's bulerias), I experience some of the same problems. Fortunately, I now have the good sense to stop playing when this happens.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 25 2009 19:13:05

Kate

RE: Interesting conversation about T... (in reply to Estevan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Estevan
Did you see this guy there? I don't think he's actually a member, but he seems to be quite important to them:

Estevan, that was so funny. And no he wasn't there but there was a picture of him !!!

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 2 2009 8:11:36
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message